OK, the prerequisites: SK160LC. Serial YM03-U1209 Display reads small E2 top left. Center reads PUMP P2 PROPO VALV Symptom is a "Left" track will not switch out of low speed. There are two speeds available, one recommended for loading/unloading from trailer, for example. That switch does work, but only changes the speed of the "Right" track. Left track only moves in slow mode. Do these proportioning valves fail? Can I swap R/L and see if the problem follows? Next move, anyone?
Hi Tony yes those solenoids can fail or it could just be a bad connection at the solenoid plug. If the p2 pump solenoid has failed your symptoms should include slow left track slow slew and arm. You can swap the pump solenoids to see if problem changes sides. The two speed tracking is controlled by one solenoid that sends oil to both drive motors to change the angle of the plate inside motors. I would change the pump solenoids over and if p1 pump solenoid flashes on screen replace solenoid. If tracking problem moves to right side its being cause by a lack of oil being delivered from pump due to faulty solenoid. If tracking problem stays on left track either no oil it getting to motor to move the two speed piston or the piston or plate is stuck
Odd thing about this. Slew was slow (didn’t notice arm), but unplug/replug the solenoid appeared to resolve sluggish slew. Might have been coincidence but can’t say for sure. I’ll swap the solenoids this morning and see what happens. Fortunately we have a dealer here so it’s possible the part could be available quickly. Thank you for he insight.
OK, swapped solenoids. Problem followed solenoid. Replaced (dealer stock). Problem stayed. Swapped again and problem followed. Puzzled. This problem was reported after taking the machine for AC service. Is there anything common to the electric circuit that would cause this? Display shows same original problem.
When you first swapped the solenoids and problem moved to right side did the fault on dash also change to p1. Can you also confirm that the solenoid closest to engine has wire psv-1 attached and outside solenoid has psv-2 attached. Can you post either the part number on new solenoid or a picture of it
Which solenoid did you replace inner or outer. Closest to engine is right track outer pump is left track
I can confirm that the fault indicated on the display did indeed change to P1. Both wires are correctly labelled. I did not record the PN of the new solenoid, nor take a picture of it. I'm not sure I can read the tag on the new one due to orientation, without removing it or at least removing the screws and allowing it to rotate. I can do that tomorrow if needed. I replaced the outside solenoid. on P2, furthest from the engine. I even swapped the old one that I condemned to P1 and no change, but the code shown included both P1 and P2. At this point, I'm exactly where I started. P2 error and slow left track. Is there an electrical component involved in the slow/safe mode that could prevent the solenoid from activating? Hard to believe a new one would be bad. Especially at $500
OK from what I understand the left track was the problem and when you swapped the solenoids the problem moved to the right track, because you moved the faulty solenoid to the inside pump but you then fitted the new solenoid to the outside pump?or did you move them back to there original position before you fitted the new solenoid. . This tells me that you have both a faulty solenoid and faulty wiring on p-2 solenoid wiring.
I put the P1 solenoid back where it was. It was not indicating a problem in the beginning, nor is it now. The original solenoid is in P1 and the new one in P2. To me, that says electric issue with the wiring or some component. Is there a relay involved? I do not have a schematic for this machine.
No relay involved pump solenoid wires come from controller to kpss switch and then out to pump solenoids. OK so your old p2 solenoid showed a fault when put in p1 pump which means it's faulty. You now have new solenoid fitted to p2 pump solenoid but p2 fault is still on the screen so you have a wiring fault. Make sure the connections in p2 plug are tight but usually the wiring breaks around the pump. Have a close look at wiring around the pump and check wiring continuity from pump solenoid back to kpss switch in the cab
OK. Your description is accurate. Explain please kpss switch.
Kpss switch is in the cab under the panel behind the seat( the panel with the speakers). Remove the panel and you will see two toggle switchs, kpss and swing brake release. Kpss is only used if controller is faulty it sends a set signal to pump solenoids to limp machine home.it also tells you on the screen if switch is activated. Don't move switches with key on or you could damage the controller. Check wiring at the pump first its the most likely cause of your problem
Will do. Some of our help bolted an aftermarket seat in so will take some doing to get to it but I’ll do it. I didn’t like the way it was done anyway. Out of curiosity, what voltage is sent to the solenoids? Is it constant or variable?
Signal is sent in milliamps and its variable with kpss off and constant with kpss on
Understood. Thank you. I am familiar with that type of circuit design.
One thing I forgot to ask. Is there a wire color change between the solenoid and the kpss switch? I’m not seeing a match to check cont in. At the solenoid it red/blue stripe and brown/blk stripe. None at the switch.
Follow the wires out the back of the kpss switch and where it plugs into the main loom you will find the wire colours you are looking for
I was able to track down the correct wires. There were no continuity issues, but apparently the spring pressure on the female sockets on the solenoid end were a little weak. I re- tensioned them and end of story, all is well with the track motor drives. Slew speed is normal, as is arm speed. Nice cool AC for the operator. Found out that Kobelco is protective of their pumps. It seems the hydraulic oil was a little low, and when I was moving the machine, it "self-terminated". Kind of surprised me, as the display only showed Monitor System OK. After about a minute, it cranked and thinking it was a fluke, drove a little more and it did it again. Now I'm concerned. First thought was fuel, but the gauge showed 1/4 tank, if it is to be believed. But now the display showed a hyd fluid low msg. That I understand. Didn't think it would kill the engine, but it makes sense. Don't want the pumps running dry or any cavitation. I didn't have enough oil on hand today to fill the reservoir, and it isn't even showing on the sight tube, but I was able to move it to where I wanted. However...it did die again, and showed a low engine oil message on the display. I checked the level and it is clearly in the safe zone, so I suspect filters. I don't know for sure, but I don't think our guys fully serviced this machine. Tomorrow I'll walk it back to their shop and see about getting that done. I'm thinking that even though it shows full on the stick, there is a pressure issue that hopefully is caused by a dirty filter. But bottom line, I get the repairs that prove elusive to the truck shop and the prop valve was not something they were able to handle. So I got that one. But that part is over and if there is another problem, it goes back to the truck shop first. If they bomb I may get it back. I hope it's not a chase they can't handle. I'm tired of climbing in and out of the cab. Many, many thanks for all the assistance from you guys, especially Kobelco ireland on this one. I wish I'd had that diagram when I was at the machine but managed without it. Thanks again. You guys make me look like the hero
Hi Tony when the machine was shutting down was it showing a low oil pressure warning. The engine oil pressure is a common fault on them and will cause engine shut down. Did it shut down like you turned off the key
Yes, acted just like I had shut the machine down myself. I know there is oil in it, to the top of the safe mark, so it has to be either a failing oil pump, unlikely since I had been running it off and on for a couple of days, or a bad sensor, or the controller has gone completely mad. But then, I did have the cover off and could have inadvertently "wiggle tested" the sensor wire and left it loose somehow.
I ment to say above that the engine oil pressure SENSOR is a common fault on them. The sensor goes faulty and can cause the engine to shut down but you will hear a warning beep and have a low oil pressure fault on the screen as it does.
Well, I wouldn't take an oath on it, because I am 90%+ deaf, but there could have been a warning beep. As to the exact timing on the display, I think maybe you are correct in that the message popped up as it died.
Might be worth changing the oil pressure switch. There are cheap from dealer and a common part to fail
Just to save me time, as it is a hectic Friday, can you give me the location of that sensor? We have a dealer about a mile from the shop and I'm sure they would have something this common on the shelf. It's probably used on a few machines.
It's on top of the filter housing pointing straight up with one wire connected to it
Most excellent. You sir, are a mensch. Thank you!
Your welcome
They are having trouble locating the pn here at the dealer. Kobelco isn’t that big a seller around here so I think they aren’t familiar with them.
That's the mitsubishi part no. I will try find the kobelco part number for you but I am away from the van at the moment
Got it covered. Thank you!
OK a little explanation of my foolishness and weak mind today. I went to the dealer and asked for a Fuel Pressure sensor/switch. Why you ask? I also have a Vermeer HG4000 down because of a faulty sensor. Their system uses a single sensor for two functions. It monitors fuel pressure and temperature. Oddly, the only code it will throw is high fuel temp. In this case, the fuel temp is fine. Tank is full, filter mount where the sensor is is cool to the touch. Factory says put new filters on because that really means high pressure (clogged filter). With that code, the remote (radio) kills everything. So with that in my head, I asked Kobelco for a part that doesn't exist on their machines, which explains why they could not come up with a PN. The pic looks like an oil pressure switch to me, but it didn't register. So I read through this thread again and it came to me that I was chasing the wrong part. The pic you sent with the PN's on it was too fuzzy on my old phone, but the countergal was able to confirm that's what the system showed to be correct for the oil pressure switch, so we're all good now. After getting it straight in my head (and the Vermeer out), I went back and asked for the oil pressure switch. Unfortunately, and somewhat to my surprise, they did not have it in stock, so I'll have to wait until Monday to replace it. It's been one of those weeks. about 9 Mondays in a row.
I know the feeling we all have them days. At the moment I am trying to arrange next week, I have to fit six days work, two days in northern Ireland racing motorbikes and a two day break away with the wife. How do I fit 10 days in 7 days lol
Big hammer and a shoehorn? I have just begun to think seriously about the schedule for next week. So far it doesn't look too bad. But that never seems to materialize into reality. By Sunday evening, the week will be full, and Monday morning things will begin to break down. It's just the way of things. And thanks so much for the help. And have fun racing. At least that should clear your head, if you focus like you should on riding. Some guys want a break with their wife, some without . A good wife can keep you going and their worth taking a break with. On the other hand...we won't go there. lol
I enjoy heading off with herself we don't get to do it often, seeing as I spend 3 weeks in the Isle of man and around 12 weekends away each year at the racing. Priorities for next week 1.break away with herself 2.racing. 3.The work will still be there when I get back
I can take this part of your hectic schedule for you. Its the least I can do for all your effort here! LOL
I might take you up on that offer but you would be trying to give her back after a few hours lol
OK, thought it would be a wrap on this machine, and it may be, for all practical purposes. New oil pressure switch covered the alarm and message, but for some reason the machine will arbitrarily start a bit if rough idle and die now and then. Doesn't matter if you are using it or not, sitting idling low or high or moving, fast or slow. Nothing obvious causes it. It restarts easily most of the time, and still the display says Monitor System OK. This machine has been sitting for a few months, and was low on fuel. Low enough that I became concerned about running it dry. So I put 15 gallons of fuel in from the same on-site bulk fuel tank we use for all the other machines over at the mulch plant. It's typical dyed off road diesel, and we run about a dozen machines daily out of it and Ive heard no complaints. I used clean containers so I know I did not contaminate it with trash I put in. I can sit in it and wait until it gets up to temp and it may be fine, or it may stumble and die. Or it may do it within a couple of minutes. I know the machine has not been serviced for a while. The hour meter on the display in the vicinity of 3800 hours but I don't know if that is total hours or since service. My first culprit of suspicion is a simple fuel filter, since I don't know how old it is, nor anywhere else to start. I don't even know if it has a water separator on it. I didn't spend much time on it today. We potentially sold a tub grinder so I was asked to go over it and see if things were right. It is one that I had worked on and made everything right on a few months ago, but it's been used in demo so it's covered in grindings. I had to jump it off, and after half hour of charging at ~27V I tried to crank it and smoke billowed of of the battery box. Turns out a bad jumper between batteries had arced and melted some insulation. I have to replace the jumper and see if there is enough post left to make a reliable connection. I've heard of old timers re-casting lead around a messed up post, but I'm not sure I want to try it. Sidetracked....sorry guys. Any other ideas to look for?