Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco SK230 Quick Coupler

Pdexter1210 · 2025-01-05 13:32

I will be taking delivery of a new to me Kobelco SK230SRLC-3 excavator next week and have started looking at quick coupler options for this machine. I'll be adding a hydraulic thumb for tree removal on the farm, and am also looking to install a quick coupler on the machine because I will be doing some hammer work as well so I'd like the efficiency of a quick coupler to change attachments. The machine is not plumbed for a quick coupler and I have searched for info on installing one on this machine but have not found much of anything. Just wanted to ask here if anyone has installed a QC on this machine and get any feedback on the install? Are the QC kits straightforward? Are there any tricks to installing one? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1Tags2025-01-05 17:07

    They typically come as a kit. with the fittings, hoses, wiring, control box, and and directions. Now if you go the used route no telling what will be included or not included. It is typically a matter of plumbing into the “curl” function for the bucket and wiring up the control box. Also, don’t purchase your thumb without having the coupler installed. You will need a longer thumb to match up with the bucket once the coupler is on.

  2. #2Pdexter12102025-01-05 17:25

    Thanks, will definitely be going the kit route as this will be the first time I'm installing one, so I wouldn't know where to begin if I just bought the coupler used and didn't have at least a head start with instructions and the necessary installation hardware. Have educated myself a bit on the thumb situation and will definitely be looking for a thumb that takes the coupler into account. Appreciate the comment about plumbing into the curl, I'll study that a bit. Thanks.

  3. #3Shimmy12025-01-05 23:33

    Make sure you install the diverter valve on the machine, not out on the boom or stick. Yes, it will take a couple of 30+ foot hydraulic lines, but those lines are more forgiving than wires. As far as thumb. The comment by Tags is relevant, however, chances are a thumb on your coupler long enough to reach the bucket teeth will probably interfere with the bottom of the boom. Just food for thought.

  4. #4lordsohio12025-01-13 05:51

    Contact Werk Brau