Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco sk230 with DPF/DPR error code p244b which Scan tool/Software will clear it?

Beltfed's ยท 2026-08-27 21:31

Hello, I have been browsing this forum for quite some time, but this is officially my first post/plea for advice. So my 2018 Kobelco SK230 SRLC-5 S/N LA08 04068 with HINO J05eum engine and 4,900 hrs was running great for about 2 months ( put approx 200 hrs on it during June and July) when I parked it for about 3 weeks while waiting for the Grubber that I ordered to arrive. Grubber arrived a few days ago about 30 minutes before dark and I needed to use the Excavator to unload it. Cranked up fine and I let it warm up just a bit (2 minutes or so) because I only needed to reposition it a little and lift the Grubber from the delivery truck. This was done in about 5 minutes with Excavator in relatively low throttle (prob @ 3 - 4 out of 10 on the Dial). I then attempted to pick up/attach the Grubber using the Dromone Quick Coupler. I have only swapped out buckets a few times using the Coupler and was struggling to remember the exact sequence for a few minutes. During this tme I noticed a message about the machine wanting to do a REGEN, which I ignored for about 3 or 4 minutes or so thinking that the machine would give at least 2 or 3 separate warnings/prompts on the monitor spread out over at least an hour during use before shutting down/going into De-Rate. After running the Excavator for a total of 15 -20 minutes while unloading and attempting to attach the Grubber it was now close to dark so I idled the excavator further down for just a minute or so and turned it off. Went back the next morning and cranked it up and immediately saw an Error Code p244b and noticed the machine was in full blown De-Rate. Throughout my relatively brief time running this machine I have never seen the Soot level above half on the monitor gauge and had only noticed the machine doing a Regen about once every 8 hours during operation. I can only recall ever needing to do a "Manual" Regen once, the day after the machine was delivered onsite. Anyway, I pulled up the Diagnostic screen on the monitor and watched the differential pressure reading for a few minutes. It was at 1 psi and would occasionally go to 0 psi then back to 1, although this is while the Excavator was only running at about 900rpm because of De-Rate. I also saw the exhaust IN and OUT temp briefly reach approx 500 degrees but not much higher and both the IN and OUT temp's being very close to the same. Then I noticed the Soot level was at 10 somehow. After looking into it quite a bit its my understanding that no matter what happens (replace Diff pressure sensor/clean out both lines To and Fro said sensor or possibly even removing the DPF and having it cleaned etc....) the machine will need to be "RESET"/Code Cleared before I can get to Grubbing with it. SO at this point I am looking to find out which Scan Tool(s) and Software will get this Code Cleared and the machine back in operating mode. Possibly by re-setting the Soot Level and then forcing a REGEN after I have checked the sensor and lines? I have read some of the various posts here regarding the various Brands and Generations of Scan Tools and Software and looked through the machine repair manual which in 2018 recommended HINO DX with a DENSO DST or one other interface in conjunction with either Windows 7 or Windows Vista. This setup seems outdated to say the least and I couldn't even find the models with the actual part #'s that the manual cited. So I am hoping that either HINO DXII or DXIII would work/ retroactively include prior machine models/ capabilities or that perhaps there is some other brand of Scan Tool and Software that will be able to Clear the Code and/or force a Regen by hooking into the machine's deicated Diagnostic plug located in the Cab behind the Seat. Any suggestions/Advice is greatly appreciated. Trying to avoid another unforced Error.

Replies2
  1. #1Beltfed's2026-08-27 21:36

    few more pics

  2. #2Kyle Helmke2026-09-01 11:28

    Yes DX 2&3 are backwards compatible. if the manual then request is ignored too many time or the soot load climbs too fast it can trigger a derate. to reset you will have to go into active test then dpr then dpr and scr memory reset. then you need to reset the system protection data. after that you can force a manual regen and clear codes