Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco SK30SR travel motors problems

LRAT ยท 2022-01-04 19:55

Good morning all, We live on an acreage in Melbourne, Australia and have got an excavator Kobelco SK30SR, serial number PW07875 (1998 model). We use the machine for land clearing and general maintenance of the property. On average we only use it once a week, so, no professional jobs. The machine has done about 3100 hours. We only clock about 200 hours per year. Over the last couple of years we noticed the drive motors are getting slower and slower. The left track is the worst; it cannot turn the track when standstill. Maximum speed is reduced to 1.5 km/h, so very slow and the machine pulls to one side. The pushing force is still relatively adequate for what we do. Anyway, I think the drive motors are worn out. I contacted the local Kobelco dealer but they state there are no longer final drives available for this machine (Too old). Now, I'm in the market to buy two new motors, but here in Australia, the cheapest I can find them is AUD$9,000 ! And that also means I need to ship the old drives back so that they be repaired. I found final drives in Europe and also the USA and they are about 1/3rd of the cost here in Australia. Obviously transport, import taxes and GST need to be added to that, but it is still half price compared to buying locally. And then there's the risk if something goes wrong I'm on my own. Could somebody recommend a reputable and reliable company, either in Australia or overseas, who can supply good quality drive motors at an affordable and realistic price? Also, when I look around there are two options: Drive motors with and without parking brake. How do I distinguish between these? I know that the machine won't move when the levers are not applied but I have no control(s) to activate a parking brake. I am also looking into replacing the pins and bushes on this machine. So, if somebody can give me some advice with all this then it will be much appreciated! Thanks for your advice in advance! Have a nice day! Luke

Replies7
  1. #1uffex2022-01-05 05:20

    Good day Luke That is very low hours to be replacing travel motors, it is not unreasonable to expect 10,000 hrs. May I suggest you check out the crawler system first using a gauge and tools, it would be a disaster to spend those dollars for no result. We have a complete test procedure you may down load from the web site or I can mail the same 13.Mb its to heavy for the forum. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Kobelco ireland2022-01-05 08:23

    Hi Luke like uffex said its highly unlikely the motors are in trouble with hours that low on the machine. check the turning joint seals and check the linkages and cables between the travel motor levers and the travel spools to make sure everything moving freely

  3. #3LRAT2022-01-07 23:48

    My apologies for the late response. It's just that one of the family members tested positive for COVID. So, lots of running around. Anyway, thank you very much for the response and advice I received via this forum. Let me explain a bit more: According to the serial number the machine was built in 1998. I bought it second-hand from a contractor about 11 years ago. When I bought it the hour meter showed 2,378 hours. The hour meter seems to work but I'm suspicious it under-reads. Currently the hour meter sits at 3,100 hours after 11 years of use! At the time of purchase the pins and bushes were at 60%, so, it's unlikely that the machine only had performed for 2,400 hours. Most likely much more. Especially when the seller guaranteed me they never used a hammer on the machine. I never paid much attention to the hour meter as I do oil changes every six months regardless whether the machine has been used or not. I checked the drive control linkages and there isn't much slop on it and no excessive play on the linkages and/or bushes.. The performance of the drive motors has degraded gradually over the years. Also, the gear oil in the gearbox seems to disappear (Although, I can't see any leaks) and is always completely black, looks off and smells slightly burned when I drain it. I've already replaced that gear oil four times and it's always black and looks off. The under carriage rollers have also broken down over the years (I overhauled them myself). This indicates that the machine has done more hours than showing on the hour meter. Uffex, I would like to receive that link so that I can download the test procedures. Many thanks in advance! I found a dealer in Poland ( www.track-motor.com ) and they are able to sell two brand new drive motors for about AUS$ 5,400 all in (Including transport, import tax and GST), that is roughly US$ 4,400. I think that's a really good deal but I don't know anything about the reputation of this company. Their website looks impressive and they basically supply for every brand on the planet. So, if somebody can share some feedback on this company than that will be much appreciated. Thanks for your help! Cheers, Luke

  4. #4Tyler d4c2022-01-07 23:58

    This sounds alot like seals out in the center pivot to me. For the money it would cost if replace them and then go from there.

  5. #5uffex2022-01-08 04:46

    Good day Lrat First here is how to get that file click excatech.org > select Library > scroll down and click the Hydraulic key > move your cursor across to the How to selection > take your cursor down the list until you find the H2 Diagnose weak crawlers click on the choice and wait a while it may take some moments to appear. Most of the planetary drives I have drained have an element of cast iron which makes the lube appear black, in fact I was charged with monitoring the drives of one machine when the customer raised concerns. What was surprising oil analysis condemned the transmissions which lived for 10,00 hours plus. Much depends on how much tracking you make with the machine but I would still be cautious for buying in the motors, it may well be that the issue is the central joint but by simple test you can avoid unnecessary work. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6LRAT2022-01-08 17:06

    Uffex, Thank you very much for that link! I was able to download that document and I will follow the instructions to the letter. I will let you know the outcome! Cheers, Luke

  7. #7Dave Neubert2022-01-08 17:33

    Check you case drains on the motors and see how much oil comes out with motors stalled