Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco sk70 throttle not working

Ryan becker ยท 2021-02-26 06:08

Hi, I have a kobelco sk70 Sr and am having problems with the throttle control. It all started after the excavator was slid off in a creek and got under water. The auto idle doesn't function at all, machine will not start without manually moving the throttle arm, and once running will not shut off with the keyswitch. I replaced the throttle stepper motor but it didn't fix it, am getting code e20 on the controller, the phase amperages show 866 and 527 on the controller with or without the motor connected.

Replies12
  1. #1Ryan becker2021-02-26 06:13

    Forget to add. Even when manually revved all the way up, all functions seem much slower and weaker than before the auto idle quit working

  2. #2Kobelco ireland2021-02-26 07:58

    Fault e20 is stepping motor current. Did the controller get wet when the machine fell into water

  3. #3Ryan becker2021-02-26 09:08

    I know the stepping motor got wet for sure. I'm not sure if the controller did. Anyway to test the controller? From what I was reading in the service book, controller faults are supposed to give a solid cpu light, mine is flashing on and off

  4. #4Ryan becker2021-02-26 09:14

    The stepping motor current show 866 and 527 whether you have the motor plugged in or unhooked. That was making me suspicious of the controller but had hoped for a way to test it to be sure before buying one

  5. #5Kobelco ireland2021-02-26 09:32

    If stepping motor is new and wiring from motor to cpu checks out OK then the fault has to be in the controller. Cpu light flashes to signal a fault eg e20. The fault with yours is in the throttle part of cpu. Solid cpu light will only appear if there is no power to the cpu of if cpu is completely screwed. I suspect its only the throttle part of your cpu is damaged

  6. #6Ryan becker2021-02-26 09:39

    Ok. Thanks. Any good sources for a new one?

  7. #7Kobelco ireland2021-02-26 15:54

    I would advise going genuine as I have found aftermarket ones a bit miss and miss. But if you want to go aftermarket type the long number on the front of cpu into ebay etc and you should find something. Where ever you get it from once new cpu is fitted you will need to do an A-adjustment to get new controller and stepping motor to work correctly together

  8. #8Ryan becker2021-02-26 16:54

    Will this a adjustment be in the service book?

  9. #9Kobelco ireland2021-02-26 17:01

    If is not i can talk you through it when you need it

  10. #10Ryan becker2021-02-26 19:13

    Ok. Thank you more good news, motor appears to have blown a headgasket. So it may be a bit before I get back to this

  11. #11kp1002021-03-04 08:27

    Ryan I had an SK60. If you manually moved the stepping motor arm I was told that it would cause a voltage spike that fried the controller. As mine was a 1995 model I bought several used controllers from salvage machines and all eventually failed. Found a brand new one in Europe and it was still in machine when I sold it. Not sure if what I was told was true but those controllers didn't need much of an excuse to go bad. Good Luck

  12. #12Kobelco ireland2021-03-04 13:58

    You are correct trying to move throttle arm with the ignition on can damage the controller