If anybody wants to see a cool video recording 1466 in action digging a slurry trench to the deaths of 90 plus feet really amazing here's the link and youtub YouTube - Slurry Walls: Applications & Construction Techniques
Holy man... that's a stick! 90ft deep! Can the stock hydraulics on that machine lift that stick without issue, or do you think components would need to be upgraded?
looks like they added another cylinder for the stick
The koehring is an amazing machine they stopped making over 20 years ago but to this day there's no machine made like them it has no problem handling the weight of the stick and boom it even has enough power to still dig through some pretty hard materials like soft rock and ground with a lot of Kabul
There is no machine that can match its weight and speed to this day if it weighs as much as the koehring it doesn't have the power if it's heavier than the koehring it usually doesn't have the speed of the koehring
Big coincidence, I actually have the tracks from this exact 1466 in my shop right now for new chains and a pad swap. This machine is sitting on blocks right now in Canada and the tracks are in Houston at my shop. I had to order the tracks direct from Italy which we have a 5 month wait to get them in. The old tracks have been short tracked and I am looking for some track pads if anyone knows where I can find some.
Hi I'm new to this forum, I've been operating excavators for nearly ten years and love seeing all the "strange" configurations, I was wondering if you guys were doing some work in Canada near Rocanville Saskatchewan? I was there over the winter near the Potash mine and some very long reach and large excavators that looked like Koehring's.
thats it .there was 3 1466 up there and a 385 cat
my buddy was on a job in michigan where they were doing a slurry wall using a pc1250 with a boom that would reach 90ft ,said it was kinda slow and you couldnt swing more then say 45 degrees to the sides or it would want to tip , youd have to put the boom way up and pull the stick way in if needed to swing around..... just like this one but not this one
Were you guys digging slurry walls for the mine there? I couldn't believe the length of the boom and dipper on those machines.
ya a slurry walls i love slurry but im not up there
The amazing thing is, what they will dig through the reason they're up there, is they can dig through some pretty tough stuff in the Komatsu's would be turned into scrap pretty quick. Not to mention their slow
huh?
I like that. There is a cat 385 up there with a modified stick, but it just doesn't keep up It only weighs about as much as a 1066E. I think it will dig about 65 feet deep. But the good part is, you can get the parts quick
Old thread bump. This slurry wall is still under construction. I'll be there this summer.
NICE! Jet, thats sweet! Keep those videos coming. Go Big K !
Im still trying to figure out what the hell a slurry wall is for haha. I had to watch the whole vid its pretty interesting, I haven't been around slurry walls Pj
Fascintating technology (and very expensive I would imagine).
Wow three years later and their still going at it. lol How do people get parts for these old machines? I imagine things like pumps, motors, and valves must be hard to get a hold of?
It goes around a landfill or chemical site to keep the groundwater contamination where it is, and not in your well.
Actually things like pumps, motors & valves are really not that hard to get. Newer updated designs are backwards compatible with the older models. Fitting sizes & bolt flanges are of a SAE or fluid power industry standard.
So they used basic off the shelf type components when they were still being produced back in the day? Makes you wonder why somebody hasn't bought the design of these Koehrings and tried updating them a little bit and putting them back in production if they were such good machines?
I didn't realize this thread got interest again after I posted.
In engineering terms with these slurry walls what is to keep the contamination going underneath the bottom of the slurry walls?
Generally speaking, a slurry wall would be installed at a site where near surface geologic conditions exist such that stratified deposits permit the horizontal flow of potential contaminants away from the site. The premise of the slurry wall is that the trench intersects all of the sediments that are hydraulically conductive. The slurry wall is based in material that has a sufficiently low (often extremely low) hydraulic conductivity. That way, no potential contaminants will migrate from the site. With regards to the potential contaminants traveling under the slurry wall, keep in mind that the slurry wall is based in a very effective aquitard and also that the vertical hydraulic conductivity of the aquitard material is often an order of magnitude lower than the already low horizontal hydraulic conductivity. :thumbsup :canada