I'm trying to get my 1982 Koehring 266 digging again. The crowd and bucket cylinders were leaking pretty bad, so I figured I'd pull them and get them looked at. The crowd cylinder needed new seals and a gouge at the very end of the rod filled and polished off; but it is good to go now. The bucket cylinder is a different story. It has a bent and badly marred rod plus the piston is cracked into 2 pieces. The barrel is actually in really good shape but it seems like finding a good, used complete unit is probably the best option. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a complete bucket cylinder unit? Thanks.
Probably be easier, faster, cheaper (Hey!, I used to have a girlfriend like that!) to just have a new piece of chrome rod machined and welded to the old eye, and a good machine shop can whip out a piston. Not to be rude, but how many 30 year old Koehrings can there be laying around that have used cylinders in better shape than what you have? It's always worth a try of course, lots of places that dismantle old iron. Have a look at http://www.thepartsconnection.org/
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it will be sent off to a machine shop this coming Tuesday to see what they can do with it. Just throwing out the question to see if I got lucky on a used one; you never know. Just hoping someone had one they were parting out... I'm really close to getting her rolling again. New water pump is here, radiator is coming out to be cleaned, and all but one hyd. pumps tested out good except one (I replaced that one a month ago). We just had 30+ acres clearcut on a farm I'm trying to turn back into tillable, so the machine doesn't have to be perfect and tight, just a strong stump popper.
As I recall the Koehring's were built like brick outhouses, should be perfect for what you're doing :thumbsup
There's a couple of them in Florida. One of the advertisers on this forum has one of them... http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/dismantledsearch.aspx?ETID=3&Manu=KOEHRING
Thanks I will check them out!
What are the chances? One of those parts machines still has a bucket cylinder on it! I guess I should buy a lottery ticket... Thanks again for the help you guys.
Do you have the 4 bolt gland or the screw in type ?
I think the crowd cylinder was the 4 bolt type, but the bucket cylinder is typical screw type. Did I understand the question correctly?
Yea that is what I ment mine had the screw in but I found a 4 bolt type . I would go to the machine shop first and get a qote but think there is/was one in Birmingham Al. 205/849/5555
Oil Change So I'm hoping I about have this beast ready for some stump popping, but I am seeing an issue with the hydraulic fluid. I was installing a new stump bucket we had custom made for her a few weeks ago; she was probably running about 15 minutes during the process but the return filter light never went out. After we were done getting the pins back in for the bucket, I shut her off and for kicks looked inside the oil reservoir tank. It looked like coffee colored tapioca pudding. Last weekend, I looked inside the tank before I started her up and there were no bubbles or foam; however, after just 5 minutes it looked like a head off a beer sitting on top of the fluid level. I have no idea on the history of the current oil in the machine, so I figure it is time to change her all out anyway. No problem. The manual says she holds 142 gallons of fluid; however, I was only able to get about 100 out of her from the manifold under the rear of the machine. I figure there is a bunch still in the cylinders which I can take care of, but how do I get the fluid drained out of the undercarriage? I don't see any hoses or fittings that are obvious where I can drain off that old fluid before I start putting the new stuff back in. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.