Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Koehring 666; operating weight?

Gavin Phillips ยท 2008-09-05 18:28

Well even with google on my side, I still can't find out just how much this machine actually weighs when in operational condition. Was there a 666B or 666D introduced after the initial version? Thanks!!

Replies73
  1. #1excavator2008-09-05 20:20

    According to the Contractor's Hot Line Equipment Guide: The 666 was made from 1967-74, weight was 79825 lbs w/ a D.D. 6V-71N The 666D was made from 1974-77, weight was 87580 lbs w/a D.D. 8V-71N The 666E was made from 1977-85, weight was 107600lbs w/a D.D. 6V-92T Hope this helps you out.

  2. #2insleyboy2008-09-05 20:57

    Heavy, air assisted, lots of airline brakdowns....no feel in the controls, state of the art in the 80's. Other than that a joy to operate....jk

  3. #3handtpipeline2008-09-06 00:25

    I think a 666D weighs more than that. WE had one, and with both the A & B counterweights and bucket removed, it weighed around 75,000. I know that because we had it weighed on the truck one time, and it grossed right around 115,000. The empty weight of the truck and trailer were 40,000. If I remember right, one counter weight was 15,000 and the other was 10,000. Not sure how much the bucket weighed, but I know it was more than a 580 case would pick up to load on the trailer, so probably at least another 5,000. That would add up to around 105,000.

  4. #4Gavin Phillips2008-09-06 03:10

    Thanks for the info So we're looking at a machine which weighs around the 50ton mark? Its hard to get a sense of scale from models of a beast like that. Was there a hydraulic face shovel variant of the 666? I do know the smaller 466 had such a version.

  5. #5Tony2008-09-08 17:30

    I have a "breakdown book" published by Koehring for all the early model Koehring excavators. It gives the transport weights and such for all components, plus machine specs. The cover's a little tattered, but the book is all there. This is a fairly rare book and is hard to come by. I'd part with it for $100 if anyone's interested. I also have service manuals for all the old Koehring excavators from the 466D on up. Email me if anyone is interested. Tony

  6. #6Gavin Phillips2008-09-09 11:37

    I'd hang onto that book for a few more years, even now it could be worth alot more than $100. Koehring brochures, sales material and operation/maintainence books are not all that easy to find. Its certainly part of the "classic" earthmoving era which alot of collectors are interested in so I wouldn't part with that breakdown book just yet! I'm hoping to pick someone's brains again and ask to see if anyone knows the operational weight of the larger Koehring 1066 excavator? This too, probably had a shovel version but hopefully I will find out more about these older machines. Thanks

  7. #7Tony2008-09-09 14:53

    Gavin, I'm at work now. I will check the book when I get home and post the info. It should be in there. Best, Tony

  8. #8Gavin Phillips2008-09-09 14:56

    Much appreciated Tony. :drinkup

  9. #9JDMGrading2008-09-09 21:02

    So how about a picture so I know what ya'll are talking about?

  10. #10Gavin Phillips2008-09-10 15:34

    Koehring 666E excavator: http://www.machinerytrader.com/images/Machinery/fullsize/01481324.jpg Koehring 1066E excavator: http://www.machinerytrader.com/images/Machinery/fullsize/75931025.jpg

  11. #11bigduke2008-10-07 00:27

    I just had a 1066D and had to scrap it, I ran it on ebay for about a year with very little interest for $10,000.00. The problem with these were they were very slow and I personally didn't care for the air over hydraulic. I think it weighed in at 147,000 pounds or so.

  12. #12Charlie M2009-02-02 19:44

    Koehring 466D Does anyone know the weight of a Koehring 466D excavator?

  13. #13insleyboy2009-02-02 22:08

    466D Runs right about 60,000 lbs. Give or take. We had one at co. I worked for back in 1980. Called the guy who owned her. He gave me #s out of Parts book he still has! I liked that machine. It just needed a hug each day!

  14. #14Cmark2009-02-03 02:26

    Wow. Someone put the cab on the wrong side.... like the hymac C machines...

  15. #15Gavin Phillips2009-02-03 05:10

    Nice to see this thread is still going. What ever happened to Koehring in the end? Were they another company that was over-swamped with mass produced machines coming in from the Far East, or....? They seemed to be pretty advanced, and quick to realise the potential of mounting hydraulic rams in excavation machinery (like the Skooper range).

  16. #16Charlie M2009-02-03 20:41

    Here's mine [IMG=http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6687/koehringyu2.png][/IMG] [IMG=http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/koehringyu2.png/1/w800.png][/IMG]

  17. #17Charlie M2009-02-03 20:47
  18. #18insleyboy2009-02-03 21:22

    I wish I knew that answer as well Gavin. The 66 series machines burst on the scene around the mid 80's and before you know it Cat and Komatsu seemed to be everywhere Koehring used to be.They might have been a step slow to the advancements in design and as you said, the overseas market seemed to come here overnight. Shame really, cause I really enjoyed those machines. Oh by the way...hey Charlie. Is That 466 a bit heavy on that 2 axle lowboy?

  19. #19Charlie M2009-02-03 22:01

    Yes very heavy, I was told it was 20 to 22 ton but seemed like much more than that. We only hauled it a very short distance and not over 35 mph.

  20. #20Dug Overburden2009-02-04 01:10

    Koehring Controls The controls on the Air over Hydralic were called kor-o-matic & the fully Hydralics were called hyrdasponce. The 66 series with the cab on the right side appeared in 1967 eventully consisting of 10 machines untill replaced by the new 66 sieres in 1984 with the 66 in front of the model number. These machines wew built by Japans IHI and had the cab on the left side. Koehring withdrew from the excavator market in 1993, but three models remained in production as scrap handlers only. Dorfman Const Co in Woodland Hills Ca. was a large user of Koehrngs, they have long reach sticks & they still have a web site active. Heres a vintage 1266 from about 1977

  21. #21Dominion 4102009-02-04 20:45

    1266 Someone I know operated a 1266 back in the early eighties.Around sixty feet of reach at ground level,and could dig thirty feet deep easily.Remember seeing one working in Toronto digging on a trunk watermain project.Were they twin 12v71 Detroit powered?

  22. #22DarrylMueller2009-02-07 13:34

    It's real nice to see excavator under carrages on newer models the older models had the shovel under carrages. When I lived in Eastern Pennsylvania Lisbon out of Danville had lots of triple 6's 505 1066's that 35 years ago.

  23. #23jetxss2009-02-22 17:39

    To answer your question about what happened to Koehring it was among the one of the first companies to be corporate rated in the 80s it was bought cheap and sold piece by piece eventually it finally fell into the hands of the Terex Corporation. Koehring 1066E, 1266D and 1466 are still some of the largest and most profitable hydraulic excavators around today we happen to own several including the deepest digging hydraulic excavator in the entire world it'll reach to a depth of 107 feet. Koehring built and designed these machines to outlast the people who bought them. The only reason these machines didn't surpass sales of other manufacturers like Caterpillar and Komatsu is because they were overdesigned in every way to hydraulic systems including the valve bodies car body and counterweight systems were and still are can be considered to be superior and much more advanced than any Caterpillar or Komatsu out there today. But in the end the prices machine was certainly higher than your Caterpillar or Komatsu but you got what you pay for a machine that would last forever and can be fixed by just about any mechanic out there. It pleases me to hear that there still people talking about these machines I love these machines. I would be very grateful if anybody on this form who is or know someone trying to sell it Koehring parts machines manuals or references please contact me feel free I'm always out there looking to buy sell trade otherwise just talk and help out any Koehring enthusiasts

  24. #24special tool2009-02-22 19:44

    Uuuh...did you just say that the old Koehrings are better than modern Cats and Komatsu's??? I won't deny that they were good in their time, but please, let's not stroll down crazy street just to dance on the cookoo stage. Modern Cat's and Komatsus will out dig (apples to apples) the old machines and burn MUCH less fuel doing it.

  25. #25Gavin Phillips2009-02-23 11:05

    Is that not close to out-digging a moderate size dragline as far as depth is concerned? Was this machine based on the 1466? Now wouldn't that be a magnificent sight to see? I was also surprised to find out that Koehring apparently built at least one model of telescopic forklift.

  26. #26insleyboy2009-02-23 22:09

    Lots of Koehring posts going around here in the forums. Great machine, sounds like I'm not alone in that thought. I saw a 6644 and a 666 just today operating one same jobsite at BP Refinery in Oregon Ohio Go Big K!!!

  27. #27Tony2009-03-01 19:13

    I would be very grateful if anybody on this form who is or know someone trying to sell it Koehring parts machines manuals or references please contact me feel free I'm always out there looking to buy sell trade otherwise just talk and help out any Koehring enthusiasts[/QUOTE] Jet, I have service, parts and op manuals for most, if not all of the old Koehring stuff. Most are in mint condition. You can message me if you'd like, and let me know what you are looking for. I'd sell the whole collection (over 20 manuals) for $1,500. But I willsell them idividually as well. These are original manuals....not reprints. Take care (and thanks for your very informative post...welcome to the forum!) Tony

  28. #28daugherty1022009-03-03 20:57

    yea a 446D weighs right around 60,000 lbs.

  29. #29northwest412009-04-30 00:06

    Has anyone here seen a Koehring with a skooper attachment for sale, I would love to get my hands on one. For those that dont know the skooper was Koehring's answer to the wheel loader. Basically a hydraulic front shovel before front shovels as we know them today took over. I think that they ran two sizes, a 404 and a 505 (505 with a 4 yard GP bucket) this was huge bucket capacity in those days, skoopers were manufactured from the late 50's to the mid 60's. The odd thing was that these were hybrid machines part old school gear clutch and chain drive lowers (tracks) and hydraulic uppers, so the units had a pump drive like todays units and then a mechanical drive shaft to power the lower with. Very much ahead of their time, alas the wheel loader won out, loaders are much easier to move about a pit or down a road. Someday I will post a picture of one.

  30. #30Buckethead2009-04-30 17:27

    I don't know about the earlier Koehrings with the air buttons, but I ran a later model Koehring that had joysticks like a modern excavator, and it was definitely equivalent to the Cat 200 series machines, which were current at that time.

  31. #31wstan012009-07-04 10:43

    266 parts machine and running 366 Koehring I have a 266 s/n66032 that I am parting and have 366 s/n 7122 with 6V71 Detroit that is a running working unit if anybody has the need!!

  32. #32finaldrive2009-07-04 20:27

    Is the swing gearbox still in the 266?

  33. #33wstan012009-07-05 09:03

    Isold that this week, only piece sold off the machine so far. thanks for asking, looking for anything else?

  34. #34finaldrive2009-07-05 12:22

    I've wrecked out several of them over the years and that's the only piece that sells nowadays. If we get any requests for anything else I'll get in touch. Thanks

  35. #35MNERIC2009-11-07 20:54

    New here, Need info on Koehring 304 Hi, I am helping a club acquire a Koehring 304 with a shovel front. It has an IH diesel engine. Does anyone have the stats for this machine? I especially need the weight. Thanks Eric

  36. #36Koehringman2009-11-07 21:25

    Really? I agree with jetxx. Sure the modern excavators will burn less fuel. They also do not have the sheer POWER the old excavators have either. Oil in the new machines just bypasses through relief valves instead of going to the arm where you need it. The new ones are great in sand or easy digging. I'll want the Koehring in the ledge.

  37. #37jetxss2009-11-11 22:33

    Jet, I have service, parts and op manuals for most, if not all of the old Koehring stuff. Most are in mint condition. You can message me if you'd like, and let me know what you are looking for. I'd sell the whole collection (over 20 manuals) for $1,500. But I willsell them idividually as well. These are original manuals....not reprints. Take care (and thanks for your very informative post...welcome to the forum!) Tony[/QUOTE] Thank you sir I'm looking for mostly 866-1066 1166 1266 and 1466 stuff let me know what you got sorry about the delay in response we had a house fire haven't been on here much except for through my phone PS don't worry all the Koehring stuff made it out okay

  38. #38hackinjack2009-11-15 22:59

    Most back in the day had there cab on the right side. WARNER-SWASEY - INSLEY - HY-HOE - HOPTO - HEIN-WERNER and BANTAM witch is a Koehring well was. And im sure there are others that i missed.

  39. #39Buckethead2009-11-16 00:26

    Bucyrus-Erie, too. :drinkup

  40. #40goldminer2009-11-21 11:33

    tony- do you have manuals for 466 air/over. i have a set of reprints and cant make out the pictures and need to tweek hydraulics. i would be very interested. also have a 466 hydro-sponse for parts and 1066 manuals if anyone needs ken

  41. #41Koehringman2010-02-12 10:30

    466d

  42. #42jetxss2010-03-29 21:03

    Okay while I'll say this, if you're a general contractor doing small sewer and water work road paving or homebuilding. Go get a cat or a Komatsu, whatever. But if you're in a coring or trying to dig deep and through hard ground to this day there is nothing that can match it, whether it's inquip associates remedial construction services Dorfman construction or superior excavators. We have put the 14 and the 12 up against the biggest cat and Komatsu machines and they will keep up with the 1066E As far as for how much fuel they use the EPA and the Army Corps and looked into this because we've done many jobs with them Figured this out, but I'll shorten up a little bit Let's say a 600 pound wrestling fans, who has only been eating pork harangues and beer for the last week. Sit down on your high-efficiency toilet and does his number two, but it takes him three times the flush and at the same time, his twin brother sits down on my old fashion low efficiency toilet does his number two and in just one flush its gone If you have all a heavy work that needs to be done, this is the most cost-efficient way to go by the way that the cat. 245 underneath our baby

  43. #43jetxss2010-03-29 21:08

    I would like you to meet , the Martin

  44. #44jetxss2010-03-30 02:03

    Okay while I'll say this, if you're a general contractor doing small sewer and water work road paving or homebuilding. Go get a cat or a Komatsu, whatever. But if you're in a coring or trying to dig deep and through hard ground to this day there is nothing that can match it, whether it's inquip associates remedial construction services Dorfman construction or superior excavators. We have put the 14 and the 12 up against the biggest cat and Komatsu machines and they will keep up with the 1066E As far as for how much fuel they use the EPA and the Army Corps and looked into this because we've done many jobs with them Figured this out, but I'll shorten up a little bit Let's say a 600 pound wrestling fans, who has only been eating pork harangues and beer for the last week. Sit down on your high-efficiency toilet and does his number two, but it takes him three times the flush and at the same time, his twin brother sits down on my old fashion low efficiency toilet does his number two and in just one flush its gone If you have all a heavy work that needs to be done, this is the most cost-efficient way to go by the way that the cat. 245 underneath our baby

  45. #45goldminer2010-03-30 21:45

    I have set of 1066 manuals have no need for them give em to you just figure out someway of sending address and ill put in mail. still running 466 E myself.

  46. #46Vic22010-08-14 21:56

    HI I have just purchased a 666 Koehring excavator. Does anybody have service manuals. Would really appreciate it.

  47. #47Koehringman2010-08-15 08:07

    666 books Try ebay. there is a few there.

  48. #48Tony2010-08-16 10:43

    Vic2, What series 666 did you buy? Is it a 666D or a 666E? I might know where to send you to get these manuals. Best, Tony

  49. #49Vic22010-08-16 11:13

    Thanks for the reply How do I find out the difference between a 666D or a 666E

  50. #50Tony2010-08-16 11:53

    Vic2, The easiest way to describe the difference is the controls: The D model had two levers with small air operated thumbswitches on them for the bucket and stick. The E model had conventional joysticks like today's modern excavators. Hope this helps. Tony

  51. #51Vic22010-08-16 13:10

    Has the thumbswitches, so D model it is. Thanks for the information. Would be very helpful if you knew where I could get a service and maintenance manual. Thanks Vic

  52. #52Tony2010-08-16 14:09

    I think I may have a set of original manuals for that machine. Let me check when I get home tonight. Where are you located, so I can figure out postage? Also, not absolutely necessary, but if you have the serial number of the machine I can look to see that this manual will cover your machine. Most of the 666D's were all the same, with very minor differences. Basically, any 666D manual will work, but it would be nice of you had one with a close serial number. I will respond to you via email. Thanks, Tony

  53. #53powerjoke2010-08-17 10:53

    I know this is an old thread/post but i would love to see more pics of this monstor......did i understand you right, is that a 245 under the boom of "the martin" ???? Pj

  54. #54Vic22010-08-18 11:27

    Serial Number Its running a V6 -71 Serial Number C15909 My postal code in Canada is P0M 2N0 Its running 85 PSI air pressure on the Hydraulic tank. Is that too much,,do you know. Where do I check pump drive level. Really interested in shop and maintenance manuals. Nice machine to work on, but dont want to guess or wing-it. Thanks Vic

  55. #55buckfever2010-08-18 19:04

    love to see vid of that thing digging

  56. #56Vic22010-08-19 07:48

    As soon as I can get it properly serviced and checked out, I will be filming it at play.Would like to run it for a bit before the season is over. Would like to try it out this fall, so I could iron out all the bugs (if any) over the winter months. Getting anxious to try it out for performance, looks mean and willing. Still having problems with the swing circuit. Don`t have enough info. Still looking for service manual. But really like the design so far. Thanks Vic

  57. #57Tony2010-08-21 10:57

    Vic2, I am so sorry....I have looked everywhere in my collection of manuals. I have manuals for almost all of the old Koehring D series excavators....the only one glaringly missing is, of course, the 666D. I have 466D, 866D, 1066D and 1266D manuals....no 666D manuals anywhere. I do have a brand new original 666E operators manual, but that's not going to help you. Again, my apologies....I will keep my eye open for one and contact you if I can find one. Regards, Tony

  58. #58Vic22010-08-22 09:04

    Tony Thanks again, really appreciate it. If you do come across a set, please let me know. There were quite a few of those around here few years back, but getting scarce, as well as the litterature. It runs great except for the swing circuit(very slow and lazy) Serviced all the filters, but would prefer the manual before going further. Beautiful machine,looks like it could do a lot of work.Very well designed. Thanks again Vic

  59. #59zim2010-09-02 20:33

    I need help with changing the control pattern on a 6608 Koehring

  60. #60WabcoRob2010-09-22 03:42

    466D parts needed Broke axle in 466D and in search of one. Haven't tore into it yet to see what else it wiped out. Thanks Rob

  61. #61john10662010-09-28 22:43

    We are in the process now of Restoring a Koehring 505 excavator we have 3 and i would like to find a skooper attachment for one of them.

  62. #62Megadraught2010-10-01 20:51

    I too agree with jetxx and Koehringman. Nothing has the brute power of the 1266. Sure these newer machines are more fuel efficient, but here in Canada, particularly in my city, a lot of jobs are coming out that are DEEP. How much fuel are you saving if you need a 365 to cut down a 385, when the old 12 can do it all on its own. A company here in town replaced their 1266 with an EX1100. It can't lift as much, its slow, it keeps breaking down and unlike the 1266 (with its 60" pads) has to use steel plates when working in soft soil. as a matter of fact, they are doing a job now working very deep in clay with two trenchboxes stacked. After the cut is made, the EX1100 gets help from the 385 to pull the box ahead. The 1266 would pull that box on its own, and if the box doesn't move, it'll rip the spreaders right out of it.

  63. #63WabcoRob2010-10-01 21:08

    Run an old 466D and nobody around my area can beat it. It has more crowd power than any machine in its weight range. Besides this I can lift more than other machines. Recently I gained attention when I cleared trees from a ditch that I dedged. I was knocking trees down so fast that some other contractors stopped working to watch. It may have been the scream of the 6V71 exhaust unmufflered, that made them stop, but it was the boom power that made them stay.

  64. #64Megadraught2010-10-01 21:41

    Gotta love screaming detroits!!!

  65. #65Koehringman2010-10-03 22:09

    666 & 466d Vic2; that 666 is an early machine. Prior to the "D" update. I'd say 1971. Hydraulic tank should have 5 pounds PSI in it. Put in a new gauge 0-20 psi then test. 85 psi will blow your hydraulic pump seals. The air controls should have 85 PSI, the tanks should have 120 psi. There are regulators in it to adjust it. I saw a parts book in ebay just now. I could get a service book copied. I have a 466D I just restored. I'll be putting that up on the forum soon.. Gonna rebuild the swing pump on the 455 this winter.

  66. #66Koehringman2010-11-03 23:32

    466D parts Wabco, How far are you from Connecticut? An old iron dealer here has one he is parting out, it still has its final drives.

  67. #67spurlock2011-02-27 07:57

    366 assistant pump Are you parting out the 366. I need the assistant pump #P365 A278 Serial # 9011-0211 Current model is a Warren Fluid power Thanks Joel Spurlock 303-748-3155 [email protected]

  68. #68Koehringman2011-03-07 19:55

    Hi, Vic, How are you making out with that 666?

  69. #69shinny2011-09-27 20:10

    Hi have a Cat 333 motor out of a 1969 505 and the manual also just cut the 505 up it weighs 48 tons (2000 pounds) Steven

  70. #70mei85552013-05-30 12:26

    i agree with you handtpipeline. because the 866d weighed about 135000, i agree with youon the weight, because the 866d weighed about 135,000. and the 505 weighed about 100,000

  71. #71mei85552013-05-30 12:31

    i think the 1066 would have been around 140,000, if iam correct. my dad had a 73 866d and it weighed about 135,000

  72. #72mei85552013-05-30 12:45

    i grew up around the old koehring excavators as my dad was in the business. i always liked these machines. we had 2 466 from the mid to late 60,s, a mid 60's 505, and a 73 866d. we owned these all up to the mid to late 80's and were purchased new or almost new in the 60's the 866 was sold in the mid 80's as of the 90's i believe it was still working. in the cleveland area.

  73. #73mei85552013-05-30 14:01

    you got that right.