Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Koehring Excavators

Andy1845c ยท 2009-09-10 18:05

Any one here have any experiance with Koehring track hoes? More specifically a Koehring 466D? There is one for sale in my area. Its listed as a 37 ton machine. Is that correct? Anyone have any other specs on them? A quick search didn't bring up much online. Its a little big for what I want, but the price is decent. He is asking $6700 for it. But then again I know old excavators make great money pits too! -Andy

Replies59
  1. #1dayexco2009-09-10 18:52

    i have a darn good 690 elc john deere with 7k hours on it that really needs nothing, you'd like it more than an older koehring. more money tho. in fact, it's in the pic in my avatar

  2. #2qball2009-09-10 20:07

    you get what you pay for. we have a 6644 at work and when it runs, it is great. when it runs. get a deere, cat, komatsu or other name brand. it will be way easier to keep running.

  3. #3Andy1845c2009-09-10 21:36

    What did they have in them for power? Something I saw online mentioned a 4-71 detroit diesel. Yeah, I figured its prolly pretty much shot, but you guys know how it is..... see heavy equipment for sale close by and drool..... hehe It must be a strange off brand, as searching the net hasn't yielded much. Just for fun, what are you asking for your JD dayexco? There was a little CAT 311B in the last machinery trader I got, thats really about the size I should be looking at. $13500 for that one, but it also seems to be an odd ball. I really should just rent an excavator for a few days, but I like to dream...... :drinkup -Andy

  4. #4John C.2009-09-10 22:37

    Those old machines were at the beginning of hydraulic excavators. They used hydraulic pumps to run hydraulic motors to turn standard shovel gear works to make the machine swing and travel. They were underpowered, 4-71 Detroit, and had old air controls. There was little feel in any of your controls, either all on or all off. The swing was free like a line crane. You had to apply reverse swing to stop the house from turning. If you were not perfectly level the house would swing on its own. The tracks were flat pads pinned together and driven by a cog wheel at one of the track frame. Drive chains came from the center sides of the carbody to drive the cog wheels. Tightening the tracks meant you had to unbolt a threaded cylinder on each side of the cogwheel or front idler and use a spanner to turn it. You adjusted the cogwheels first as they also adjusted the drive chains and then you adjusted the front idlers to tighten of loosen the tracks. It was a pain. There is a reason for the low price. The undercarriage is probably junk and the machine will barely move before the tracks come off. I have a friend with one in a wrecking yard. His machine doesn't have to move so it works fine for him. He told me that when is quits he will just cut it up and load it in the truck. Good Luck!

  5. #5powerjoke2009-09-10 23:04

    The Koehring/Bantam is now owned by Terex so parts should be easy to get. and the old detroits were great motor's, some of them just leaked alot ALOT lol. but i have 2 in a scraper than hasnt ever leaked a drop and burn 1/3 the fuel of my CaT's John, the one i was around also had a 4-71 but that's about where our simularities end. everything was like a normal excavator, swing break, hyd tensioners, tripple bar grouser shoes on a chain with rollers erc, the levers had linkage controlled valves etc. even had 2 speed track drive. and the cab set on the right side....kinda good ole machine really i would suppose your buddy's is old enough it built the landing pad for the nina, pinta, and santa maria.lol or maybe it was a special arrangment machine for the scrap yard? Pj

  6. #6powerjoke2009-09-10 23:09

    the 311 sounds o.k. not much of a hoe though. ( not too big) dont feel bad about renting most of us do it. untill last year i never rented much because i was always busy, now we are slow and thinning the fleet a little we have rented quite a bit recently.

  7. #7Andy1845c2009-09-11 09:51

    Thank you for the replys. Does anyone have a picture of a 466D? This probably won't turn out to be something I am interested in, and I hate to bother the seller if my interest isn't genuine, but it would certinly be fun to look at this machine just to look. I have an Austin Western grader with a 3-71 Detroit in it. I agree they seem to be good little motors. The neighbor has an old Lima dragline with a 4-71 and that thing still runs dispite his very minimal maintenance.... But I cannot imagine a 4-71 powering a 74k# excavator. Underpowered sounds like an under statement. The 311 is more of the size I should probably look at if I decide to buy one. I mostly just have smaller land clearing and maintenance projects, not so much mass excavation. Plus 30K# is alot easier to haul around then 80k# Anyway, if I by do chance get a look at it, I will take some pictures and post back. -Andy

  8. #8tootalltimmy2009-09-11 12:02

    Here is one I found on Kijiji for sale. Only $14,000. A steal of a deal at that price!

  9. #9Buckethead2009-09-11 13:15

    The bottom pic in Timmy's post is a Koehring. I don't know what the top pic is of. Bantam maybe? They were owned by Koehring, too.

  10. #10tootalltimmy2009-09-11 13:29

    Now that I look at it closer you are right. The pictures are not the same machine. Maybe the deal got better: 2 for the price of 1

  11. #11RonG2009-09-11 15:18

    I ran a 366 Bantam years ago and it had a 6V53 in it.I am not sure if the model numbers are the same between Bantam and Koehring or not.That 366 looked very much like the pic of that 475 or whatever it is in the previous post.You could walk right down the middle of it to get at about anything you wanted to reach.I considered it to be a very well designed machine.Ron G

  12. #12powerjoke2009-09-11 15:23

    do you suppose that is a lifting eye on the stick?

  13. #13Buckethead2009-09-11 15:35

    It could be. I have not seen one on the stick like that, but I have heard of it being done, on bigger machines like 1266 Koehrings, for more clearance working under wires.

  14. #14handtpipeline2009-09-11 22:08

    On Bantams, 451's evolved into 166's, and 475's into 266's. I can't imagine a 466 just having a 4-71, as that's what my 266 has in it. Our 451 had a 4-53.

  15. #15powerjoke2009-09-11 22:54

    i think our 266 had a4-71 but cant remember Pj

  16. #16Turbo218352009-09-12 07:48

    A few guys around here have done that. It lets them use a little machine and pick heavier items. Help full when taking bigger pipe off of a truck too. Kinda hard to make a heavy pick off a truck with long boom, long stick, and qc.

  17. #17Gary8252009-09-15 19:47

    Well I have been reading the threads on this forum for quite some time and this thread asking about the old 466 forced me to register . I have been operating equipment since 1973 and I have never had a machine make me talk to myself like the old air controls did on the 466 or any Koehring of that era . That is probably the most aggravating machine I have ever run. At times I pressed the control for the stick to go out up to 15 times before it would move and when it did hope no one is near the bucket or what ever you are lifting at the time.The company I was with at the time said the machine was like that its whole life and had the Koehring dealer send a mechanic out and changed the controls and many other parts which did nothing when I was on it .I work out of a union hiring hall and the company would not let either myself or their company operator run it for more than two weeks at a time , any longer than that and who ever was on it was requesting a lay off it was so annoying . I have never met anyone who liked the controls . When you are dealing with air type controls their are to many things that can effect how or if they work . I would not think of buying one . I would take any of the many excavators I have run with foot controls for the bucket and stick along with free swing over one of those pos air controlled Koehrings .

  18. #18Andy1845c2009-09-16 16:11

    Thanks for the input Gary! I kind of decided to not bother looking at this machine, but I sure wish it was at auction or belonged to an antique machinery club or something where I could see it run and operate. It sounds interesting..... but not to the point I wanna spend all my money on it.....

  19. #19jmonk2009-09-30 18:33

    Worked in a quarry a while back, owner had one from when he first got in the rock crushing business, and it was known as the drunk dinosaur on the site..Big, Strong, Slow, and them controls will do as they please on you!!

  20. #20W Isgett2009-10-24 21:08

    Koehring C-166 excavator Hello...I have a Koehring C-166 that I have owned for about 5 years now and it has always worked well for me. It has sat unused for the better part of a year and now I'm having hydraulic trouble. I have changed the suction filter in the tank, double checked the fluid levels, but the machine still won't move. Only the right track operates, but not the left, or any of the other hydraulics. The machine ran well when I parked it. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks for any help.

  21. #21Koehringman2009-11-07 20:17

    Koehring 466D Andy, I hope I'm not too late. Koehring 466D 1972 to 1975 Detroit 6V71-N power. Control is air over hydraulic. 32 tons on the scale. 2nd Photo below 475 photo is a 466D. My saying Look at it, Check the hour meter, check the bucket linkages, and the track pads. Especially where the wheels & the pads meet. For wear. Also look for a lot of arc welding work and cracks at the boom foot and boom cylinder mounts. I've seen a few of these 466D's I wanted one as a toy. I found a real nice one with 5000 hours and little welding. I'm going to restore it. I paid $5000 The one in the photo looks pretty good. Check the machine out RUN it. It should dig strong. And it is fast. Try it at 1/2 throttle. if it looks ,runs, and feels tight. Make the guy an offer.

  22. #22Koehringman2009-11-12 18:31

    Koehring It is a model 466D. The top pic is a Bantam C475.:usa:usa

  23. #23Gary8252009-11-12 18:38

    I ran a couple 166's which were a dream compared to the 466d air over hydralic nightmares . I have no good memories of any of the air controls as a matter of fact .

  24. #24goldminer2009-11-13 14:51

    gary-koehrings can make you talk to god--for sure. had the same problem but found problem to be a simple o-ring bypassing air at main valve. couple of smokes and some hard thought usually fixes a koehring

  25. #25Gary8252009-11-13 15:08

    the company that owned it at that time said it was like that when it was new and had the Koehring dealer look at it and replace parts many times during its life but they never figured it out unfortunately for us operators . I have not had an air controlled machine since then which was around 1989 thankfully . I would of paid a lot of money on a number of occasions for that O ring back then

  26. #26Koehringman2009-11-13 15:11

    A couple of smokes Yes, I learned a lot fixin' mine. 99% of the air sytem problems is a leaky hose or an O-ring that wore out. Fortunately parts are easy to get. :notworthy

  27. #27cat9802009-11-13 15:41

    my uncle use to own a 505 Koehring it had a 5 yeard bucket and the controls were air over hydrioulic. It had a free swing and it would crawl but not turn and after the machine sat for 3 years the brakes were shot so to dig you had to dig on the side of you so you wouldnt roll.

  28. #28Koehringman2009-11-13 23:44

    Roll Yeah, I had the same problem on my 455 { That is in the picture } turns out that the brake band linkages had corroded & froze up. I took a hammer and a can of WD-40, and, PRESTO! T he brakes worked again.

  29. #29Andy1845c2009-11-15 19:36

    Hey Koehringman, I didn't get a chance to look at this machine. I kind of decided its too big and I just can't take on any more projects at the moment. I do appreciate the reply though! I don't know that I have ever come across a Koehring hoe in my life, and I post here and get all kinds of info on them... Cool! Hopfully somebody bought it that has time and money to keep it digging

  30. #30Koehringman2009-11-16 06:38

    I'm sure it would depend on what part of the country were in. I'm in the Mass. area. I'n the day, 70's every other excavator was a Koehring. I think New Jersey,some parts of California, Michigan, and another state or two I missed, were saturated with them.

  31. #31goldminer2009-11-21 11:11

    parts anyone know of used parts source for 466 s still using mine

  32. #32Koehringman2009-11-22 13:34

    Parts... Depends on the part. If it is a hose O-ring or other, that stuff is readily replaceable. My Koehring was made in '66 and Iv'e been able to repack two of it's cylinders. It uses standard packings. The pumps are are either Sundstrand { Drives & Swing } or Tyrone or Vickers. Those pumps are still around but maybe a different manufacurer. Hydraulics shops would be able to help out, Or look them up online. Shafts or gears are another story. Best bet would be to put up a wanted ad for a 466 or keep an eye on Craigslist for a whole one you could use for parts.

  33. #33insleyboy2009-11-22 19:37

    One of my very first jobs as an operator. (after 9 years as a laborer), was running a 466D on a sewer project. A 12 foot cut right off the bat with all the utilities.Needless to say we had water, gas and telephone companies there quite often as these air machines gave you almost zero feel in the controls for any obstructions. This machine would bounce near the top-end of the boom extension. To make a long story short, these were awesome in the pit, just hogging, sand, clay or what ever. In a tight spot, they made me an old man before I was 30!

  34. #34Koehringman2009-11-23 08:28

    466d Yeah, Insley. I just bought a 466D It is in pretty sweet shape for its age. It definitley has some spring to it, and faster too, as compared to the 455 I have now. As far as feel is concerned I don't think any excavator has really any. Running a cable machine or something like a Case backhoe where the valve box is below your hands it is a little easier to feel it. Check out Stretch Coppa's "Gallery Of Actual Equipment" page 2 about 3/4 of the way down. He got a photo of the 455. Doing anything with that H-875 in your title photo?

  35. #35insleyboy2009-11-23 19:26

    I here ya Koehringman. It's not my backhoe in the pic. Someone sent it to me knowing the company I am with used to have several.

  36. #36Neil872009-12-14 06:24

    Would anyone from the Toronto/Mississauga area, happen to remember what models of Koehring excavators were used in the Widening of Hurontario back in 1998-2000? The name of the company was "Pit-On" and I recall someone posting an image of this companies koehring excavators? I'm thinking one was a 1066 and the other a 1266. Those Koehrings made a hell of a racket, I' am thinking of constructing a model of one of these machines. Thanks, Neil

  37. #37Andy1845c2010-11-03 20:55

    Had to drag this up tonight after browsing craigslist. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/grd/1975536840.html 466E for 10,500 Looks decent in the pics too! Wish I could afford it.... Did the "E" still use the air/hydraulic controls? Mostly just thought maybe the Koehring fan here would get a kick out of it. :usa -Andy

  38. #38Buckethead2010-11-03 21:09

    The machine in those pics has the later control configuration. I ran a Koehring like that briefly, nice machine. I think the E model was the first one with the "modern" levers.

  39. #39245dlc2010-11-03 21:36

    A company I worked for in Edmonton use to have 866E's I never ran one myself but I do remember the guys saying that they were air over hydraulic and that they had toggles because he controls were different than the equivalent Cat machines.

  40. #40Koehringman2010-11-03 23:12

    466e That one looks GREAT! $10-5. pretty good deal to me. This one has the hydraulic over {CAT} controls. Koehring was trying to stay ahead of the yellow competition back then. I ran a 235 for a while, I appreciated the hydraulic valve piloting. Worked great on the coldest December day. I'd say this machine is around '80-82 vintage. The early "E" Koehrings had the air system & the thumb triggers. I ran the 466D for the farm show. Got in the paper. Soon I'll post the restoration pics. Look up Norwich 466D on google.:notworthy

  41. #41Marksan2010-11-04 09:36

    ...............they call your 466 a steam shovel in the write up, what do they mean? Can you explain the 'air over hydraulic" system for me (is this what they are refering to as steam). ln relation to the pre computer mid 80s machines. Cheers.

  42. #42Buckethead2010-11-04 14:48

    Air over hydraulic means the pilot controls were operated by compressed air.

  43. #43Koehringman2010-11-04 19:57

    Air & Steam Right, on the air. My Koehring has an air assist to the hydraulic valves and pumps. Compressed air is generated by a compressor mounted to the engine to 100-120 psi. This air goes to the controls which are valves that when opened will send the air to a spool cylinder mounted to the hydraulic flow valve, that in turn will send hydraulic oil to the hydraulic cylinder operating boom bucket or stick. As far as steam shovel...well not everyone knows a lot on this stuff. My education on the press is limited too.

  44. #44Marksan2010-11-05 08:38

    Thanks for that. Does this kind of system require alot more operator input to the levers? l was trying to see on your video of you loading the truck couldnt quite catch it. Was this air over oil a Koehring system, or was it a general part of hoe evolution? ............my education on the press is limited also, unfortunatly my experiance with them is constant

  45. #45Koehringman2010-11-05 10:49

    Hi, Marksan. Explain deeper air over oil, I'm not getting that.. No there is no more operator input to this system, except brake line anti freeze during the winter.

  46. #46Andy1845c2010-11-05 23:43

    Hey, That is awesome! I wanna see more pictures!

  47. #47Koehringman2010-11-07 16:55

    466d Yeah, Andy. I'm going to start a thread on the restoration soon.

  48. #48KoehringChic2010-11-10 20:03

    I am so sorry to ask a question on someones else post .. But I am having a time trying to figure out how to post a question I keep getting a box that says I do not have permission to access. If anyone can help I have a 1985 Koehring C-266 we are trying to locate a high and low switch it does'nt seem to have one. If you know where one may be at on the machine please you can email me [email protected] or reply here I will keep this checking back.. Thank you so very much and again I apologize for posting on this post.. Thanx

  49. #49Koehringman2011-01-30 10:46

    Got started on the restoration thread. Look up "Koehring 466D restoration"

  50. #50GILLIS50552011-02-05 19:18

    I have a Hy Hoe that I inherited along with several other pieces of excavation equipment. Will attach pictures on my next post.

  51. #51Rasspuiton2011-03-26 17:35

    I hope someone can help. A company i work for has a Koehring 466d sitting in the field and i want to put it to work. The motor was rebuilt a few years back. The problem i am told with the machine is that the swing is very very slow...other than that they say the machine works fine..any ideas on what could be wrong? i have yet to fire it up and find out for myself..its been sitting for 2 years without being run..anything i should do to prep this heavy beast before firing it up?

  52. #52Koehringman2011-03-29 19:58

    Before starting it ...Make sure there is water and oil in the engine and the hydrauic fluid is up. The swing on my 466D was slow too. I did this: Fix any and all air line leaks. Cab air pressure gauge should read 120 psi. Get a 0-150 pound pressure gauge, open the service door behind the cab. There are 3 regulators One is the 90 psi function regulator, another is the 35 psi regulator to the thumb button controls, the other is the 5 psi feed to the hydraulic tank. I found that the 90 psi regulator was putting out 64 psi, I set it for 90...and the machine came to life! If thats not it. Charge the air system shut off the engine & have a buddy engage the swing lever and listen for leaks. Let me know how you make out.

  53. #53Rasspuiton2011-03-30 20:33

    ok awesome...thanks for the info and advice..i will check that stuff out..the owner said they stopped running it because it kept blowing hydraulic hoses..i found that out today ...he is looking for the repair manual for it before i tear into the beast. it will probably be a few weeks before i get time to work on it but i will keep you posted..thanks again for the help

  54. #54Koehringman2011-03-31 19:02

    Sounds like there will be some hoses to fix There is a couple of 466d books on ebay. I'll keep an eye here too. Did you look at my restoration thread? Still have more to do on it, almost there though. I love my 466D. Keep in touch.

  55. #55Bantam2011-09-10 18:43

    I have a 1980 Koehring Bantam 266 C hydraulic excavator with a DD 4-71. Runs great, everything works, but the lower track rollers are shot. Anyone know where I can get new rollers?

  56. #56marcel.hubert2011-09-19 10:29

    To W Isgett: Would like to know if you found the answer to your Koehring C-166 excavator regarding the tracks mouvemets. I got a 475 and your problem looks much like mine. You might E-mail at [email protected] .

  57. #57wvgca2016-01-10 19:03

    I'm currently looking at an older C475, price is okay, and not far to haul .... but does anyone know if controls are linkage type or air over hydraulic on this model?? thanks

  58. #58wojo2025-06-11 12:50

    I have a Koehring 366, looking to get a 2nd, as parts machine. The owner of the 2nd says won't swing, 'swing brake are frozen'... not sure I buy this... I didnt think they have swing 'brakes', though all done with hydraulics... does a 1986 Koehring 366 have actual brake pads to stop the swing?

  59. #59Buckethead2025-06-11 17:05

    They were free swing, IIRC, it will have a swing brake just to hold the swing.