Hi, I'm a brand new owner of this dozer. Was pretty excited until literally after only about 20 minutes use on the first day I noticed some smoke from the engine compartment. I turned it off immediately and the top of the engine (valve cover) was covered in oil and it was dripping off the large canister just below the intake and running down the side of the engine. I assume that the large canister houses an air filter? Due to my schedule I've not had a chance to even attempt to determine WHERE this could be coming from yet but until I do I thought I'd post out here and get some of your opinions first. I did check the engine oil and it was fine... I checked the hydraulic oil at the sight glass and NOTHING shows in the window but it did when unloaded from the low boy. So... must be hydraulic oil the is on the engine, not motor oil. My thought was when I can get a chance this week to check into it more was to take 10 gallons of hydraulic oil and a friend and try and put it through its paces a few minutes to see if we can tell where the leak is. I'd rather not do something stupid if I can avoid it though... so please give me some ideas of what to look for and WHERE... and HOW... much much appreciated. INFO: The machine was well maintained by the previous owner (a local construction company) and they gave me some decent service records.
That big of a leak should be easy to see where it's coming from. Maybe the pressure hose off the hyd. pump blew apart? I had that happen on my track loader. I'd thoroughly inspect hoses and other components before starting it. Don't use your hands to check for leaks when it's running.
When checking for leaks use an appropriately sized piece of cardboard, NOT YOUR HANDS! getting any type of oil under your skin can be fatal.
Just had the same thing happen on my backhoe and it was a rubber oil cooler line that split and the fan sucked it into the engine compartment. Fixed the line but have residual oil all over everything. Did run 2 cans of brake cleaner through the oil cooler and radiator while it was running, to clean all the fins out but have yet to give it a bath. Still have a job to finish, will give it a bath later in the week but for now, it’s leaking oil everywhere. Good luck.
Had that reply typed out yesterday, evidently forgot to hit post. Update though, used my hot water outdoor spicket and pressure washer to give the old girl a bath. The entire engine compartment was covered in a grey stone dust mixture with hydraulic oil. Looked like a coarse grey salt or sugar. What a mess, had to take a shower after but got it clean. Took off the front grill and got the oil cooler and radiator clean, even took off the fan blade to get into the radiator better. Should be all set now, even managed to replace a double return oil cooler line clamp with a Stauff clamp.