Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

komatsu ck-35 up in flames!!!

earthscratcher ยท 2011-04-04 20:05

well this morning out running the ck-35 with the davco mower on the front i was catting back to the truck to refuel.i smelled something funny and noticed the engine temp was rising,i jumped out and opened the back door to see fire under the motor area.i grabbed the fire extinguicher and shot in under the motor area, it put it out for about 1 min then i just had to stand back and watch.not a fun sight !! i have been running equipment for about 20 years and this is my first fire,i have always seen pics of iron burns but never experienced it before. what are some helpful tips to stop this from happening again? i have another ck-35 on the way,i talked with the salesman about fire problems with these machines and he said he had not heard of any. any pointers on fire prevention would be great!! thanks

Replies7
  1. #1xcmark2011-04-04 20:23

    I would guess it had a hydrolic leak in the engine compartment, fine mist oil underpressure burns like a blow torch! and it doesnt take much heat to start a fire , oil spraying on the hot exhaust is about all it takes!

  2. #2KSSS2011-04-04 21:30

    I had one a year and half ago. I was mulching and line blew spraying hyd fluid on the exhaust manifold and muffler and there was fire. I got it put out but cost about 10K to repair. If it happens like that I don't think there is much you can do. Sometimes fires are caused by debris in the engine compartment that can be prevented by frequent cleaning but a line breaking is just bad luck.

  3. #3Van Koop2011-04-05 11:03

    Yikes, that's a bad feeling , not to mention an adreanalin rush. I just bought a ck35 last week. Is the insurence company selling it for a parts machine. Any pics

  4. #4Lil' Puss2011-04-05 22:34

    Think about an automatic fire supression system (they're not that expensive) and an industrial smoke alarm.

  5. #5Van Koop2011-04-12 13:28

    Does anyone have oil and hydralic filter numbers for a komatsu ck35? Thanx in advance Quentin

  6. #6ryti repair2011-04-12 17:31

    sorry new to the site trying to get my 3 posts in so i can open a thread. I recently bought a 97 BC 753. i'm trying to replace the bushing, pin, & bolts from the bobtach to the lift arm... the pins keeps spinning with the bolt inside the bobtach any suggestions... thanks justin

  7. #7FloridaWayne2011-04-13 00:19

    Are you trying to install the new pins or remove the old ones?