Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

komatsu D20

matcov ยท 2016-09-09 20:49

hi all, new to this forum. Have just purchased a Komatsu D20 with 6 way blade,manual transmission. What should I keep an eye on maintenance wise?

Replies2
  1. #1oldhousehugger2016-12-20 18:34

    First Take the time to drop the belly pan under the clutch housing and drain the wet clutch case. When all the oil is out, pull the cover on the strainer on the bottom left side of the case. The strainer filters oil which operates the steering clutch cylinders as well as lubricates and cools the wet discs. I have heard any number of people on here loosing steering as well as myself. I learned the hard way that if the strainer plugs up you get no steering. After tearing apart and rebuilding my steering clutches and still not having any steering, I opened and read the manual. That tells you What? Read and understand the manual before you start. It will save you hours of work. Go figure. First thing to check for is reduced hydraulic pressure at the clutch slave cylinders. If the pump is still good its the strainer plugged up. You can cobble together a pressure tester setup if you get the British pipe thread adapter and a zero to 1000 psi gage. Second Install a fuel strainer like the Wix 33007 as close to the fuel tank outlet as you can. This will avoid the fine mesh filter in the bottom banjo fitting on the intake for the lift pump from clogging up with trash from the fuel tank. I leave the rear cover off under the seat so the strainer is easy to get to. There is also a tank drain valve under there which good to be able to get to.

  2. #2Vetech632016-12-20 19:41

    Good to know about that steering problem. I got a call today on a old K20A with steering not operating properly and they just had the steering clutches done by the dealer here. I will check that strainer first thing when I get there Friday!