Have 2 Case 1450B dozers. One of them suddenly got to where it moves around just fine in every gear forward and backward. But will not push, will not even pull itself up on a trailer. Moves its own weight fine on level ground but that is it. No real Case dealers around here so no old time Case mechanics available to me. Any suggestions?
First thing remove the floor access and see if the drive shaft is spinning while pushing, if it slows or stops. Have you checked the oil level,changed your filters or any other repairs. Does the pressure gauge on the dash go to zero under load. You may have a worn charge pump that is not providing enough flow or pressure. Is it doing this in 1st low range as well as 2nd in high range? May be some seal rings at the high/low cap on the pto output. What part of the state are you in?
I haven't really messed with it much. I just had bought it, it was a NCDOT machine so I got it pretty cheap. But the guy who's shop it is at has messed with the valve section, filters etc. some. I had a little health problem this summer so I haven't tackled it myself. This one only cost 6,000 with a brand new undercarriage and the UC is worn out on my other one but the tranny works great. I was thinking worst case scenario I could pull the tranny from my old one and put it in the other one since it obviously has very few hours on it (for an 85 model anyway). But I am thinking it is not massive transmission failure such as clutch packs etc. due to the fact that it is the same in every gear, high and low. But I am not very familiar with case trannys cause I have never had problems with one. I do know a good bit about Franklin (Im a logger obviously), Cat and Deere transmissions and I know usually if there is a major problem in those they will usually still work in some gears. I guess I need to start checking pressures first thing? A friend of mine has a 1450B service manual.
BTW, Im in North Wilkesboro too. Bout 4.5 hours up 421 from Wilmington but I will be at Carolina Beach in mid October.
I worked up that way years ago, may have even worked on your NCDOT machine back in the eighties. Was able to cut some trailing slopes with them, and go into some of the most remote areas in the nc mountains where they left them to push snow in the winter. So what brings you down to the beach next month? I stay about 6 miles from Wrightsville Beach. The service manual is laid out well for trouble shooting, it helps if you have a flow tester with the shutoffs and hoses to hook into the system. I would still slip that pto flange off and check the seal rings, put the dial indicator on the end shaft and get a reading on the end play also before removing, you will need some red loctite and some copper sealing washers for the bolts, may get lucky and find a worn ring or two. Your pressure on the inlet of the main control valve should be about 250-310 psi.