I have a need to replace the drive sprockets and drive chain on a customers dozer and need to know if there are any special warnings in order for this machine.I understand the sprockets need to be pressed off/on,and I don't know if this happens on the machine or off?Also is a Komatsu dealer the only place to get the parts to do this job?Also what about specialty tools?Anyone with experience in this area,I would really like to hear from you.Also,I forgot to mention that the customer is my neighbor(a farm that is on both sides of my homestead).Thanks to any and all who respond.Dante
Well no special tooks are "needed" but sure woudl be nice if you had them on the bench.. I DON'T either. To get the sprocket off I just give it some hits with a sledge hammer from the inside out (3 times max) and she slides right off. When putting back on it's a bit rough service because basically replace the seal behind it and get it into position with the big nut.. Tighten nut and then I've heard you hit the sprocket around with the same sledge hammer and tighten nut up again... I've heard they repeat this process at least 2 times and haven't had any trouble YET. OR leave the old sprockets on the machine and replace the teeth on it with the sprocket rings I have thta you weld onto it. I always send them to my u/c shop to cut and weld but I've read here or somewhere where they have left them on the machine.. ??? Then you wont' have to worry about the press on and off. NO komatsu is not the only place that handles parts. I DO as well.
Darinray,you have got my attention with mention of the weld-on sprocket rings.I will have to get to you on your business site to go over my options.thanks.Dante.PS I'm formerly from Greene county NY in a small town just north of Catskill(exit 21 of the NYSthruway).
Ok... contact me anytime...