Hey everyone, I got a new to me Komatsu d31E that I just purchased. I’ve decided that I would go completely through the machine to include getting the injectors rebuilt. Upon removing the injectors, there was a bunch of rust that came out with them and some rust still in the injector holes. Now I know that some rust had to have gotten on top of the piston. Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions before I go and starting removing the head. Thanks!
Maybe you could have a look with a small boroscope?
I was thinking of doing that. Wasn’t sure if I would be able to see the hole piston due to the small size of the hole
How about a shop-vac.?? U can step down the suction hose with some smaller hose (fuel line) and duct tape.. If ur feeling lucky, just spin the engine with the starter, with the injectors out and hope the rust blows out the hole.. Good luck
Rust might have just been around the threads from rain/snow when sitting.
That’s the procedure I used when replacing the injectors on our Ford 6.6l (Brazilian). The original cork gaskets were compromised and a fair bit of rusty scale was evident. The vacuum worked well…that was a couple of years ago. Good luck!