Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D31p-18 steering issues

Jeff downing · 2024-02-23 12:42

Komatsu D31p barely turns at all ( sometimes it will catch and turn). I bought it this way at a good price hoping I can fix it. I want to know where the transmission screen is located as I heard a guy with same problem and cleaning screen fixed his. Can someone help me here?

Replies17
  1. #1Dave Neubert2024-02-23 14:09

    Sounds like brakes need adjustment

  2. #2Jeff downing2024-02-23 14:18

    I’ll give it a try. Thx

  3. #3Jeff downing2025-06-05 09:56

    I have adjusted the brakes now until there is no more adjustment. Komatsu D31p-18. What is it that is wore out, that needs replacing?

  4. #4Kyfarm2025-06-06 12:47

    2 lever steering or single joystick for left hand? Does it “barely steer” in both directions? Or just one direction mostly? does it track straight on level ground?

  5. #5Jeff downing2025-06-06 12:49

    It is a two lever. It does track straight. Levers have to be pulled to the max to get it to turn.

  6. #6Kyfarm2025-06-06 13:08

    Have you visually checked every bit of linkage to make sure they aren’t being blocked by something? is the problem the same for steering both directions? Also the same for steering in forward and reverse?

  7. #7Jeff downing2025-06-06 13:11

    I will check that this weekend.problem is the same on both sides and in reverse. I don’t believe that there is anything blocking the controls. Had the floor up months ago and vacuumed out all of the junk and debris.

  8. #8Kyfarm2025-06-06 14:32

    Strange that it’s the same on both sides since it is a 2 lever steering system. Take the back cover off and clean that out also. My D31 is a -20 and has a single joystick for steering, so not sure what to tell you if you’re sure the linkage is all clean and the brakes are adjusted properly. although, if the brake pads are just plain gone, equally on both sides i guess that might be your problem. id say you are gonna have to do some internal inspection……

  9. #9Jeff downing2025-08-01 18:47

    So I put new steering clutches in the D 31-p-18. Right side works fine. Left side only works in reverse. Going forward it will not turn. Any suggestions?

  10. #10Universal Parts2025-08-02 05:06

    The balance valve of the travel motor is faulty. The motor can only move forward but not backward or can only move backward but not forward. Please check your balance valve.

  11. #11Jeff downing2025-08-06 06:49

    Is the balance control valve the same as steering control valve?

  12. #12Jeff downing2025-08-22 18:02

    So I replaced the steering control valve and still the same. Will not turn going forward on the left stick???

  13. #13Kyfarm2025-08-29 10:05

    So Im assuming that your -18 works by pulling a steering lever which physically actuates the steering valve for that side of tractor, then the steering valve sends a hydraulic pressure to a small cylinder that physically actuates the clutches and brakes, is that correct? when you replaced the clutches, were they bad? Were they slipping? Did you replace or at least check the brake bands while you had it apart? Have you checked the hydraulic pressure downstream of the new steering control valve? you’ve done a bunch of work but your whole problem might be, assuming your linkages are good and hydraulic signal after SCV and the actual hydraulic actuator is good, worn out brakes IMO.

  14. #14Jeff downing2025-08-29 10:11

    You are correct on your first question. I did replace brakes while I was in there. I have not checked the pressure downstream.

  15. #15Jeff downing2025-08-29 10:13

    It had this same problem before I replaced clutches and breaks. I thought that was the problem.

  16. #16Kyfarm2025-08-30 21:01

    Then one would think that it must be the hydraulic pressure to the actuator or the actuator itself, I have no idea why it won’t steer in forwards but will in reverse. do you Have a hydraulic schematic? And tested pressures are correct? and the tide looked real bad today, bummer

  17. #17Jeff downing2025-08-30 21:02

    Not yet