Looking at one of these 96' with total new bottom, anyone know what HP these are adn what size cat or deere they compare with, and are they good reliable machines, getting for personel use, thanks. OH i was also told they use 40 wt oil for entire hydraulics as well as engine. that makes to much sense i cnt believe they would make it that easy
We sold a D31P last year, seemed like a nice operating machine to me, it had a good blade feel, but I didn't put a lot of seat time on it. Maybe an operator will jump in here. Doesn't it have the Cummins engine? Komatsu used SAE oil for the engine, trans, and hydrualics in several of their models, it does making keeping oil for them a simple task.
I guess no one knows much about these
Yeah, that seems a little odd. Heah, if the price is good and it suits your needs, I'd go for it. Like I said, the one we had seemed like a good little machine. And the long track base made good blade control. I like the way the transmission worked. Overall, it seemed like a good useable machine to me. And if the price is good, with a new undercarriage, seems like a good buy to me.
I think Cat started the one size fits all oil requirements many years ago.I know for sure the D6D used 10 weight oil for everything and that is an '80s machine at the very least,maybe '70s even.Ron G
I'm not familiar with the 31P-20, but have had a fair bit of experience with the 31E-18. So series before and not configured as a swampy. Engine HP in the E-18 (from memory) is 70 . So theoreticly close to a D4D or 4E. But... less weight. Weight of the 18 is about 7.8 t dry I think, plus i've probably got 2 t of stuff hanging off it (cab,sweeps, mesh, spear, winch &rippers). It won't push as much as the 4D it replaced... but fuel consumption dropped by 37%. yes - thirty seven percent. Call it a fuel efficient D3 on performance As far as oils go on spec the 18 uses 40W across the board except the hydraulics. Hydraulics use 10W. Personally I found 40W too light in the finals and went to an 80 W90 gear oil, and I use a good multigrade in the engine. But straight 40W for the converter ( it's not a true convertor it's one of them rubber block thingys), transmission and clutches / brakes. Scrimping on oil is not cheap long term maintenance, finals went an additional 2500 hours second time around due to increased shock loading protection of the heavier oil for instance. Found it to be a nice day at the office and after 12 years I can say it's been good to us, the only whinge I'd have being that it's NOT on diagonal braces which makes it pretty rough on rock. It's supposed to be a trim dozer but we throw it at every job not worth sending a D6 to. As I said it's the series before but may help you.