Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D31S-16 steering clutch

Going for broke ยท 2021-09-19 13:45

I have a Komatsu D31S-16 serial #28144. I don't know the year of manufacture. I am having difficulty getting info. I have a shop manual, but it has very limited detail and the parts drawings are very small and unclear. The right steering clutch is slipping. I assumed this was a dry clutch, but when I pulled the cover it had a lot of oil in the bottom. When I pulled the left cover it also has the same level of oil. My question is whether this one is supposed to be a dry or wet clutch. Secondly, if this is supposed to be a dry clutch, what is the likely source of the oil getting into the compartment? Can you get to the seals from the final drive and the bevel gear from inside the clutch compartment? Is it possible that the oil could be from bad seals in the hydraulic clutch piston? Both sides look the same, but the right side is the only one clearly slipping. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Replies0

No replies yet.