Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D31S-17 Clutch/Inching Pedal Question

Linford Berry ยท 2020-01-01 22:06

Hello, I recently purchased a mid 1980's D31S-17 track loader. It has low hours (about 2,700) and has spent more time sitting than working. I changed all the fluids and filters, lubricated everything and adjusted track tension. It runs good and everything seems to work like it is supposed to except the inching/clutch pedal. According to the users manual when you depress the inching pedal halfway it is supposed to halfway disengage the clutch and when you depress it fully it should fully disengage the clutch. When I push mine it feels like it is applying the brakes but it doesn't disengage the clutch and the machine continues to move forward at nearly the same speed however the engine bogs down. Both steering brake pedals work fine to steer with but when depressing both pedals together it does the same thing as when I depress the inching pedal. Does anyone know how these things work and could you direct me on what to check?

Replies3
  1. #13 Landies & drott2020-08-09 03:26

    Linford, I have a similar aged D57S-1. The Komatsu tech's tell me that the inching pedal should disengage the clutches and then when the pedal is fully depressed, both brake are activated. Mine does work the way they told me. I haven't touched mine, but maybe look at adjusting the connecting rod?

  2. #2JimInOz2020-08-09 06:02

    On the 16 Series,there is a cable under the floorplate. The manual has adjustment specs. I think there's a seller on eBay,selling manuals for the 17 Series...or try Tradebit. The 17 series were a bit different to the 16s ,as they went to a 6 cyl engine & looked less bulky.

  3. #33 Landies & drott2020-08-09 20:53

    You could try Komatsu for the manual - they have them electronically (scanned copies of the original paper ones) I bought the workshop manual I think it cost about $150(?) AUD