Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D36PX 21-A Dash Lights

Markiebud ยท 2016-07-06 16:22

Can someone give me a pic and a description of what the dash lights are on my dozer? I am getting one come on and I dont know what they are. Thanks in advance

Replies33
  1. #1Markiebud2016-07-06 16:51
  2. #2Nige2016-07-06 17:10

    If you mean the one on the right then I think it's the transmission filter plugged.

  3. #3Markiebud2016-07-06 17:18

    I dont have a list of lights and what they are when I get a warning. I need to get a list so I know

  4. #4Nige2016-07-06 17:22

    Sorry I don't have a manual but try this. When you first turn the key on I assume all the lights flash as part of the panel test, correct..? Take a photo of the panel while the lights are on and post it here. They shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

  5. #5DK882016-07-06 17:54

    hst charge pressure.

  6. #6Markiebud2016-07-06 18:03

    I thought that was it seems like I have gotten this before when I didn't have enough RPMS and was moving it . I assume it could also be a dirty filter

  7. #7DK882016-07-06 19:52

    i would suggest changing the filter and cutting open the old filter and look for and debris, also take a long magnet and dip it in the tank and move it around.

  8. #8Dickjr.2016-07-06 20:09

    You can toggle the switches on the dash and it will give a code. It is possible that the light is just telling you to change the hst filter. Mine did this not long ago and when I went thru the dash it was 2000 hr drain and refill final drives. I did that and reset the timer and was good to go. My manuel is in the tractor or I could look it up for you.

  9. #9Markiebud2016-07-06 20:16

    I will do that!

  10. #10Dickjr.2016-07-07 19:01

    What's the verdict?

  11. #11Markiebud2016-07-08 00:04

    Well I changed filters out and re added oil, I was still getting the alarm and I just decided to run it and see what happened, I know not the smartest but I was out of options!! Well 1 hour into it I had fluid leaking from right rear motor track. I removed the cover and noticed that the large main hydrostat line was squirting fluid from bolt flange. This line was replaced 2 weeks ago, I pulled the line off and I noticed that a O ring was split. I paid for this repair and I believe all my problems was probably this o ring and it may have been sucking air causing the alarm. I am open to opinions?? I am going to Komatsu tomorrow to get a new o ring, bleed the system and see what happens. I truly am open to suggestions at this point the alarm is driving me crazy but in my mind it makes sense if it was leaking pressure or sucking air because of the pinched o ring... So I am waiting

  12. #12Dickjr.2016-07-08 10:27

    I would advise you to park that tractor and find the source of the problem. It could very well be the oring and low pressure. The pump and drive motors are very expensive , it would be bad to compromise them for a minor issue. How many hours on this machine?

  13. #13Markiebud2016-07-08 10:38

    2200 hrs, this machine has been well maintained, the problem was it wouldn't move and then I finally got it to move shortly after replacing the right side hydraulic hoses. I am wondering now if the system had air trapped in the pump after weeks of messing with it then it started to run and this alarm prompted. I checked pump pressures and everything was within specs, re changed the filters. I am going to fix this o ring and check strainer inside tank today so I will update my findings on the strainer around lunch.

  14. #14Dickjr.2016-07-08 10:51

    Good luck , I'm out of ideas. But I wouldn't work it till the alarm goes away. Did you try the dash switches to retrieve any fault codes? I have a 39 , so I'd like to know your findings for future reference.

  15. #15DK882016-07-08 11:19

    i would suggest blanking off the left and right travel motors completely and rechecking pressures, ive seen those alarms due to hst charge pressure low if the travel motor flsuhing valve is stuck or if the motor or pump is comming apart, very common on -21 and -22

  16. #16Markiebud2016-07-08 18:56

    Well here is what I did today, I fixed the o ring, replaced strainer in hydraulic tank, new filters, filled with oil and bled the system with bleeder valve under floor. Started it up let it warm up with brakes off it run for 10 minutes and I thought I finally got it until alarm went off.... Still Hyst Pressure, I got on the machine it was slow on commands and jerky. It acts like it has air in the system but I did bleed the system. On the tank strainer there was very little brass microns nothing big and no chunks the tank was clean. I am leaning towards the pump but I can't believe it would fail with 2400 hrs? The warning light will go out as soon as the brake is depressed or you can change throttle up or down and it will go off for a few and come back on. Any ideas I am listening

  17. #17Markiebud2016-07-08 21:05

    Another weird thing I have noticed is it seems to run fine in reverse? Steering is responsive and no lights! Put it in forward get Hyst light and it will be slow as soon as you input a turn it hesitates and turns but then takes off normal for a few feet and then slows down... I truly believe it's possessed at this point

  18. #18DK882016-07-08 21:37

    I have seen them fail at 1000hrs but more commonly around 3500 - 5500 hrs, had many service calls for machine tracks side ways when pushing but is ok backing up.. turns out they will have a pump or motor issue.

  19. #19Dickjr.2016-07-08 21:48

    DK what kind of pumps and drives are in these Komatsu's? Are they Kawasaki brand or actually made by Komatsu? Like I said I'm trying to educate myself.

  20. #20Markiebud2016-07-09 00:16

    Well answer this please... I bled they system and filled the oil to middle of red circle on clear sight glass, I was watching it and it sucked it down below the red circle and the next thing I know it's over the clear sight glass and has never pulled down. I just don't know where this extra fluid came from? I know it's probably the pump but wouldn't air do this??

  21. #21Markiebud2016-07-09 00:19

    How do you determine if it's motor or pump? This one has the computer and in neutral it's 3.4 mpa both pumps in forward one goes to 1.0 other is 6.5 and in reverse its 6.5 on both.

  22. #22Nige2016-07-09 04:12

    Did you happen to take any photos of the particles you found in the screen and did you cut the old filters open and inspect the bottom of the pleats of the filter material for particles as someone suggested before..? It doesn't sound good TBH.

  23. #23Markiebud2016-07-09 10:05

    I agree it doesn't sound good I had someone here today and it's acting different then before now it's going forward in reverse command but no turns but still maintaining pump pressures

  24. #24Markiebud2016-07-12 11:41

    Ok where is what I know now, I had a Komatsu Tech come out lastnight on his off time. He ran hydro pump test, charge pump, wheel pump, and all passed and in specs. He looked at me like I was crazy when I told him past 1500rpms it would quit so he got on machine and sure enough it quit! But this time I lost pressure to everything and that was the first time to lose everything and blade is on completely different system then the hydro so maybe we are getting somewhere? My thinking is it has to have a restriction somewhere from the T to where it y's off to feed the hydro pump and blade pump to the tank?? I have already removed the strainer so that's not it, I don't know what else it could be or what in the world could be restricting it but I will look for it today after I get the system drained and start removing hoses... Am I on the right track here??

  25. #25Dickjr.2016-07-12 12:53

    I have heard of pilot lines or signal lines collapsing before. But I'm not sure as to where and if your machine has such. I did bring my manual in from my 39 to see about diagnostic codes , but I believe your past that point. Hopefully you will find something simple. For the most part , people tell me these little machines are pretty darn tough. I've seen them with upwards of 15k hours on the meter , granted they are heavily worn.

  26. #26Markiebud2016-07-12 15:36

    Well drained main tank pulled off soft suction line and scoped all the way to charge pump and everything is clear..... SMDH!! I know this post is getting old and so is working on this thing but I am losing ideas here. So I am wondering now if possibly a safety valve in the Hyst pump is kicking off but would I lose work pressure since its on a completely different pump?? I mean to lose work pressure and pump pressure just made since to be a suction line problem.

  27. #27DK882016-07-13 21:26

    Sorry for late response's Dickjr - as far as. I know they are all Komatsu. Markiebud- check the final drive oil levels, I've seen the shaft seals fail and the oil transfers from the final drive to the hyd tank. High idle in stall pressure test mode neutral lever direction your left and right pressures should cube 3.2-3.8 mpa. When you engage fwd or reverse the left and right drive pressures should be close to or over 40mpa. If they aren't then you need to blank off the drives and test the pump. When you lift up the floor under your left foot you will see a valve about 6" below the floor, make sure it's locked out. It's for the hst tow valves. As for the work equipment shutting down,taking the tank cap off to make sure you not getting a vaccume on the tank causing the pump to not do anything you would be a quick start?

  28. #28Markiebud2016-07-14 12:12

    Thanks for responding, I pulled the Charge Pump last night and it looks brand new inside no marks, pressure gouges or anything. I am pulling the Hyst pump tomorrow and taking it in, I feel some of the brass I have seen is probably from one of the surface pistons in the pump. I did inspect the screen from the control valves and it had no metal in it, I pulled the safety relief valve on the pump and it was clean no metal in it. I believe I will see metal missing from a few pistons in the pump either way it will give me full access to flush all houses and try to get any contaminants out of the system and make sure there is nothing left in there when we put it back together. This one truly has had several people scratching their heads but at least when I am done I will know what I have and it should last after this because I will be aware of maintenance at this point. The pump place will tear pump apart and inspect for 200.00 so I feel that's the best money that I can spend at this point. So I feel like it will be another week possibly 2 before I can get it back and put back in.

  29. #29Dickjr.2016-07-19 19:42

    Any developments on your dozer?

  30. #30Markiebud2016-07-19 19:58

    Well I haven't gotten the pump pulled yet, I am not excited about a 6k rebuilt pump so I am taking it in... LOL

  31. #31Dickjr.2016-07-19 20:21

    Understood , between putting a bottom on my 943 , putting a new swing frame / line bore work on the backhoe and a new ac compressor filter drier on the dozer I've had about enough for this year.

  32. #32DK882016-07-20 21:27

    Did you happen to try to move the shaft when the charge pump was off? I wonder if the rear bearing failed?

  33. #33Markiebud2016-07-21 00:14

    No I did not, but I know by one piece of metal that looks like almost a complete top off of a lifter I have a piston bad somewhere either in my pump or lord help me a wheel motor! But the dozer is to nice not to fix with these hours. I was offered 16k as salvage and it was tempting