Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

100 hp Dozer Fuel Use

JS300 ยท 2016-07-06 20:08

Anybody have an idea on what a 100 hp range dozer would burn an hour? I know it will vary from year to year and make/model but would like an idea. My 96 Case 850G with the 6 cylinder cummins is only using about 1.5-2 gph clearing brush. I haven't had it long but figured it would burn closer 4 gallons an hour like my 85 hp skid steer.

Replies12
  1. #1Delmer2016-07-06 20:12

    I was gonna guess 2.5 gal/hour for moderately hard work, so that's right in there. Are you trying to figure out what's wrong with it? maybe add a DPF??? Skid steers aren't especially efficient, and uses a lot more of that 85 HP than the dozer is.

  2. #2Dickjr.2016-07-06 20:13

    My D39 is comparable in size and rated hp but uses the 4BT instead of 6. It will average 3 gallons per hour. Light work is less , cutting heavy clay a little more. You put it in hard ground and make it grunt it might use 4 or a little more per hour.

  3. #3JS3002016-07-06 20:57

    Thanks guys. I'm just new to dozers and figured it would burn more fuel. I have a guy running it for me and I'm sure he's taking it easy if you know what I mean . He works cheap though and takes good care of the dozer so I just let him be. The dozer seems to run fine but doesn't black smoke at all. I really need to check the pump pressure but just haven't had time.

  4. #4Brad SEIN2016-07-06 21:16

    Your right on track. I have an 1150k with the same motor that will run around 3 with most work it does. My t870 Bobcat will run mid 5 gph, seems like no matter what I'm doing. The loaders are using every last bit of hp though. The dozers just seem to cruise along, especially if you throttle back a bit.

  5. #5moriboy2016-07-07 20:39

    My JD 650G burns about 2.5 gph. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6JS3002016-07-07 21:41

    The fuel use on this dozer has really surprised me 1.5-2 gph is nice. My skid sucks the fuel down but like Brad SEIN said they seem to need full throttle no matter what jop you are doing. I've got a 6' cutter for it I think it burns 5 gph while cutting heavy brush. I traded a Kubota M8540 tractor for a new M9960 a couple years ago and the fuel use doubled. The newer equipment is not very fuel efficient with the emissions stuff. Iets see reduce emissions, burn twice the fuel ...Genius!! Guess thats the government at work for us these days.

  7. #7Scrub Puller2016-07-07 22:00

    Yair . . . It used to always be with hydraulic drive if you put one hundred horse power in the best you could get was eighty out . . .it was supposed to have improved "in leaps and bounds". Maybe not so much in all applications . . . it always bugs me those little skids and CTLs seem to be screaming like crazy to do anything at all compared to a proper track loader or dozer. . . physically faster for sure but how far in front at the end of the job and at what cost per thousand hours. Cheers

  8. #8Dickjr.2016-07-07 22:34

    Scrub , we have some guys that dig basements with skid steers , 80 to 100 hp. They do good till they get down into the tight stuff. Biggest problem is they wear the rubber tracks out in 800 to 1000 hrs and it takes a major toll on the implement system.

  9. #9JBGASH2016-07-07 23:58

    My 750 C Deere dozer (appox. 145 hp) will burn 3-6 gallon, 6 gallon if you push it hard. It has a 10' semi u blade.

  10. #10JS3002016-07-08 00:12

    I have a Case 450 tire skid. The track skids have to be one of the higher cost machines to run per hour. I can look over the dozer pretty quick... A little fuel, grease and blow radiator and air filter out every 40 hrs and done. The skid takes constant attention to keep it running correctly not a lot of $$ but really have to stay on top of it.

  11. #11Brad SEIN2016-07-08 21:01

    The hrdrastatic dozers have come a long way. My 1150k is hydraulic and still runs under 3 gph for the most part. Have a 2050 Case now that is a 45000 pound hydraulic drive machine that has been very impressive. Not a real big dozer by most standards, but with a straight blade it does a really good job of cutting slots and handling a load. Runs between 6 to 8 gph depending on what we are doing.

  12. #12oldirt2016-07-09 20:40

    I run an old D6D and it doesn't seem to want to burn more than about 5gph.