Hello I have a 89 D37E-2 1600 sn. It will not steer to the left only some of the times forward or back wards. If i step on the right brake and pull the left lever I can get it to steer. I pulled off the metering valve and put new seals in it now I want to pull the cover and look at the brake lining and the clutch plates. The way I understand it is the left side plates disengage and the brake lining is applied. IS this correct. any recommendations on what side to look at and where to buy parts. I live in Texas and am very new to the dozer driving but I really enjoy it. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom.:usa
Hi Hunter, I have a D37E-5, probably very much like yours. Have you tried to adjust the brakes yet?
TwinPines I took off the rear cover plate it had two bolts holding it on then there was about a 7/8 inch hex tried to adjust it but it would not turn. So I feel it is maxed out think I need to take the cover plate off and check it out. Thanks Tom
Hunter, I don't know but I would guess they have not been adjusted in a while. I think I would put a bit of effort into turning the bolts counter clockwise to see if they will come loose and are frozen together. You probably know, but counter-clockwise loosens the brakes and clockwise tightens the brakes. You probably already knew that. One suggestion would be to take the back panel off and have someone else work the brakes and see what kind of travel you get in the brake linkage. If there is a lot of travel, they might just need to be adjusted. If there is no travel they would probably be too tight (very unlikely). On mine, the adjustment bolts will turn with my fingers. The specs for mine are tighten to about 15 ft/lbs (snug with a small ratchet), and then loosen 2.5 turns. Good luck.
Ok took the clutches out and inspected them in great shape cleaned them up after miking them out. and having the steering brake pads replaced. Had a problem with the left steering adjuster it was frozen took it out and found it was bent and stripped out thats why it was frozen, so the rod and nut are trash. any one have any Idea where ya might be able to purchase parts for the Komatsu d37e-2 I live in texas. Thanks.
I know it's a little late, but Waukesha Pearce industries sells parts for Komatsu. I live in Texas too.
Never too late thx I am still having the steering problem pulled out the clutches they were all goo replace the brake linings have not worked on it for a bit need to get back at it and get it fixed
I probably have a good used rod and nut if you still need one? Let me know and when the snow clears some I will check it out...