I have a Komatsu D37EX-21A that suddenly lost steering control yesterday. Moves forward and reverses with plenty of power and changes gear up and down no problem. When joystick is pushed left or right machine briefly tries to turn in both forward and reverse then goes straight. If the joystick is pushed over fully to the pivot position the direction of travel actually reverses...... which was fun getting it off the edge of the embankment! Once on the flat tried it out again, no problems going straight back or forward, will steer occasionally in both directions but actually changes direction when pushed hard over. Seems like a control problem in the joystick at first impression. Has anyone any experience with similar? Many thanks
Do you have any fault codes displayed? I would check your power supply, and your pilot pressure.
Thanks for the response No thats whats confusing because there are no fault codes and pilot pressure appears ok. Everything else works perfect. I just had a call from the Tech at Komatsu appears there is a recent service bulletin on the failure of a potentiometer in the joystick control itself..... this sounds logical but pricey!
Ok, well hope that is, and with a service bulletin they should take care of it at no costs on you
They told me the upgraded joystick would be $2600. No mention of free replacement!
By Komatsu, when there is a service bulletin, parts, Labour and mileage is covered by Komatsu directly, I work for a Komatsu Dealer, and almost one a months come a service bulletin out, no cost too customer, exceptions would be if the customer denied any repairs, or if your maschine is out of warranty.
Machine is definitely out of warranty 2004 unfortunately but thank you for that info.
Maybe Komatsu works that way in Germany but I haven't seen that in my area in the states. Warranty is a set period of time. After that time ends you might be able to get what is known as a policy adjustment. That means there may be participation in the repair by the dealer and Komatsu. Komatsu does have a policy of fix as fail. They know there is a problem but do nothing unless something fails within the warranty period. I did a lot of that work when I worked for the dealer some years ago. Many times I pulled onto a site to get questioned if something would be covered under warranty. I told them to call my boss and sort it out with him before I opened the tool box on the truck. Multiple times I was told to remove myself from the premises. Have the discussion with the local service manager and talk soft and humble.
True, I understand where you coming from, when a bulletin comes out, we inform our customer and most of the time they agree, especially in there warrant period, there were times a few months past the warranty
I had a customer yesterday with a D65wx-16 SN#80296. The problem is when pushing a load, say in 2nd gear it should automatically shift to 1st gear, it does but it hesitates for about a second or 2and the power is around 80%.. Their mechanics did a complete service, for except the transmission. There are no fault codes displaying. My pressures converter (in 25bars) (out 8bars) my trans. Main pressure (40bars). I checked the Last Chance filter on top of the converter oil was clean no signs of worn pump.my speed matches 100% according to my shop manual, checked all connectors, readjusted my brake, what I didn't do was check my suction strainer ( did not have clean oil with me) but that will be the next step, if they call again, but I'm still think that my pump is weak and looking power. The maschine has 12,896 hrs. What is you opinion on it?
Well guys Your local Rocket Scientist has found el problemo For your info in case you ever see it again! There are two potentiometers in the base of the joystick. I took it apart and found one had come loose...... yep the one that changes direction! The other one was loose too but not displaced. It needs a spot of oh be joyful on the threads to lock them in place. Here are some pix of how I found it and after fixing. Ill put it back together in the morning and test it out probably have to recal everything now!!