To anyone who has experience with this model dozer; would you say it's user friendly? Would you use it for finish work? I bought one of these models. I know I need to get used to it, but maybe it's more the machine than me? The blade just seems a little hard to finesse. Here's an oddball question. Have you ever heard of anyone boosting the pressure on the turbo on a dozer??? I've never heard of, but never hurts to ask right? It's a 4 cylinder Cummings 80hp. I'd post a picture if I knew how!
Might be something with the Komatsu line since I just recently acquired a D31P-16 and I find the Blade speed slow. For really fine finish work I would like the blade to move as fast as thought. As for posting images look below the reply box to Additional options and select manage Attachments. This will allow loading of photos. Do not know about the Turbo boost.
Are you an experienced dozer operator and having a problem with your D38, or new to dozers? I have maybe 12-14 hours of seat time with my D39 and while I'm improving with blade operation, I'm a long way off from being proficient. I think with the right operator, my D39 would make an excellent finish dozer and probably yours would as well.
Hey John, "maybe 12-14 hours of seat time", you have been slacking! Get out there and push dirt. Though I agree an experienced operator makes a large difference, Machines have differing abilities and strengths. I guess that is why there is so many types and sizes out there. That is what I think is fun about them, getting to learn what each is capable of.
It will take some time to get use to it, best thing to do is get out there and learn. As for more horsepower, the 4BT has a mechanical injection pump and can be turned up quite a bit. I know some guys who run these engines in rockcrawlers and are making somewhere around 300HP on the stock bottom end. But they also have different turbos, headstuds, water injection, and 4" exhaust. Remember all that extra horsepower is no use if you cant run the machine productively.
Komatsu D38 Hey John, I've logged about 1200 hrs on the dozer. I certainly still have a lot to learn. I like the dozer though! Just trying to improve my game. A 4BT, is that the turbo or the engine?
No problem J Olender. 4BT means it's a Cummins 4 cylinder, B series engine, with a turbocharger.