I am glad I found out about this forum, there's lots of guys like me out there just trying to make it. My lil dozers converter temp gets to where I think is above average temp after 1/2 hr of running time. I put new scavange pump on 3 weeks ago & that helped,washed out cooler,keep chk on oil. I had new brake & steering pads put on 2yr ago. The problem was getting worse so I put pump on. I am wondering if I am running wrong oil, dealer said to run straight 30W oil. I am running a TDH 30W oil. Any advice I would greatly appreciate.
stupid question anyone wash the dirt out of the coolers so air can flow threw?
As I recall we used to run an automatic transmission fluid in them. I'd try to find an operator's manual to make sure. I am sure that we never ran 30Wt. in them.
Thanks John C. The previous owner ran hy-tran oil,but thought a dealer should know. More people I talk to though I not sure they do. You sound like u been around equipment a few years, I really appreciate your info. Also I probably wouldn't have spent couple of thousand $ on pump b4 I washed out oil cooler. Thanks again John C.
I just bought a used TD8G and the dealer told me to run universal hydraulic / transmission fluid in it.
You said its running Hotter than you think is should. as long asits not in the red its ok. couple thing push in a lower gear oil level not over full. stall it out get it hot put in netrial run at hi rpm does the temp drop back to normal in a couple min if not after 5 min you have a proplem
I would think that 30wt oil is to thick, IH normaly ran 10wt in their transmissions. Also are you sure the temp gauge is working properly, it might be telling lies, I would be checking it out first. Cheers RDG.
ATF all the way in trans. also check temp with gun to ensure there is a true temp issue............
Thanks 4 the info guys. I ran it till it was where it usually gets 2, kicked it in neutral at 3/4 throttle, ti droped temp back to 12 o'clock on gauge. I am getting a temp gun to check temps. A mechanic 4 a local construction company advised runing a synthetic oil, don't know much about that oil other than expensive. He also explained about a bypass valve in transmission cooler lines,also gonna see about that. Thanks again 4 the advise, I let ya'll know what I come up with.
I know the "H" model takes SAE10WT. If memory serves me correct the "G" is the same.
I was having similar issues with my 125C International, which is very similar to your machine. I tried just about everything until someone on here suggested tightening the fan belt. I had tightened it before, however, not tight enough. If you can grab the fan and move it at all (slip), you do not have it tight enough. After I really bear-ed down on it, all of my issues went away. It was like a totally new (different) machine. Also, according my operators manual, which is the same as a TD-8C, TD-8E among others, specifies "Hy Trans" for fluid. Which is hydraulic transmission fluid made by numerous companies. And again, I know it sounds too simple, but grab that fan, if you can move it, it needs to be tighter.
Thanks 4 the advice. On my dozer it has a tensioner that seems to hold plenty good enough, can't turn fan without really pulling hard on it. Since my last response, I spoke with a local oil & fuel distributor who my aunt works 4. He dun some investigating 4 me & talked 2 an engineer who went back on his programs and said the TD 8 G came out with a 10W oil 4 tranny. He also advised new oil out called TO4 10W, had adatives in it to help on temp,seals,etc. He seemed real knowledgable on oils in different machines, said he may not know everything but 30W was 4 sure the wrong oil 4 dresser tranny. Gonna drop oil soon as I can, maybe this new oil will help. I wish it would be fan belt, much cheaper than the oil, but that wouldn't be my style.
Sounds like you are on the straight and narrow now. Let us know how it comes out. Good Luck!
Hey rooster, I have a komatsu D38, which I believe is very smiler to your TD8. My TC temp also goes higher than I think it should. So I bought an inferred heat gun, (about $60) and it turns out my TC has barely been running at operating temp. For what it's worth. And keep asking questions!