Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D38E weak steering

Hemidriver ยท 2016-09-27 19:11

I have located a 1999 Komatsu D38E dozer for sale but the steering is weak and according to internet searches this dozer has a steering clutch design similar to a disc brake system on an automobile immersed in oil for cooling. Is there any adjustments that can be made or what is most likely the problem? Also, how big of a job would it be to get into the housing and visually inspect the clutches if necessary? The dozer only has 3900 hours on it.

Replies11
  1. #1hvguy2016-09-27 20:10

    I know that transmissions and gearboxes that have wet brakes/clutches use GL-1 oil thats compatible with the brakes. Maybe someone used the wrong fluid?

  2. #2Hemidriver2016-09-28 14:10

    Thank you hvguy for your response. That is very possible, the guy that owns it doesn't seem to know very much about it or dozers in general, I asked him what shape the undercarriage was in and he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. I was also thinking that the oil might be low in the gear box or maybe have water in it. Do you think that could cause the problem?

  3. #3lantraxco2016-09-28 15:11

    Steering is weak as in the turning brakes don't work well, or when you pull one steering clutch lever, the other side stops driving?

  4. #4tctractors2016-09-28 15:20

    Adjust the brakes and it will be no trouble. tctractors

  5. #5Hemidriver2016-09-28 15:49

    Weak as in it doesn't want to turn and it is joystick controlled, no depressing the brakes or pulling steering levers, which unfamiliar to me.

  6. #6Hemidriver2016-09-28 16:09

    Thank you tctractors, I didn't realize they could be adjusted, I assumed they were self adjusting.

  7. #7lantraxco2016-09-28 16:10

    Familiar machine Tony? I've not seen a 38E it seems.....

  8. #8Dickjr.2016-09-28 16:40

    If its the model I think it is , the steering valve or joystick could be bypassing or not putting full pressure to the brakes. Simple pressure checks can determine this. Post up some pics. This thing is a Komatsu-ized Dresser. I had a 39E-1 it was a pretty solid little tractor had about the same hours when I sold it.

  9. #9Hemidriver2016-09-28 20:19

    Thank you Dickjr for your reply. I don't have any pics yet, I asked the owner to send me some but he hasn't done it so far. He is asking $12,500 for it which doesn't seem like a bad price but I don't want to get one that has major problems and from all the information I've received on this forum it seems like this could be a pretty simple fix. Also, from the internet searches I've done I think it is very similar to the 39E. Do you think I should go for it if everything else is ok?

  10. #10Dickjr.2016-09-28 21:24

    Unless it needs an undercarriage and lots of other work that is a fair price. Keep in mind that a complete u/c could cost up to 10 grand. I would either hire a mechanic to look it over or do it yourself.

  11. #11Hemidriver2016-09-28 23:56

    Yeah Dickjr, I think I'm at the point that I need to go look it over. I really appreciate all the great advice from everyone on this forum. Thank you all.