Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu d39

John arthur Williams · 2022-09-09 09:06

I got a Komatsu d39 that I’m trying to find out how to smadjust the steering brakes

Replies8
  1. #1John C.2022-09-09 09:30

    Going to need full identification. Should probably be a dash number with that D39 and a serial number and year of manufacture would help.

  2. #2John arthur Williams2022-09-09 10:01

    I’ll have to go look and I’ll try and find it on there

  3. #3John arthur Williams2022-09-09 10:06

    Model number is d39p-1 Serial number is 4750002p095835 The machine is strong pushing but unless you are pushing something or back dragging the blade it’s hard to steer. It’s like the clutches are releasing but the brakes are not holding

  4. #4Voodooburner2022-09-09 16:57

    D41 brake adjustment is on the back, remove the little covers, tighten the band bolts to a specific torque I don't remember then install the covers

  5. #5FWD2022-09-09 18:23

    D39P-1 is the sane as a Dresser TD9-H. On the frame above the final drive it looks like a stud, but a small hex head on it and a large locknut. You may have to scrape dirt and or mud away to find it. On the so called stud there should be a few threads showing, if not the brakes are shot. To tighten the brakes, you need to loosen that lock nut and then you tighten the smaller hex head.

  6. #6John C.2022-09-09 19:20

    Komatsu made their own D39 models in the seventies, eighties and nineties. When they took over the Dresser line which was the IH line they kind of married the two together. At any rate I think the D39 Komatsu dozer became a rebadged Dresser TD9. That's the reason I asked for a serial number. The number given is the type of number I'm familiar with as being the old Dresser serial number system. I believe FWD has it correct that your machine is likely the Dresser and his description of the steering adjustment is probably the correct one.

  7. #7FWD2022-09-09 20:47

    I looked at pictures of 2 D39P-1 dozers on Machinery Trader and they definetely look like a TD9-H except for the superstructure. D38 of that vintage is mostly a TD8-H. FWD

  8. #8John arthur Williams2022-09-11 10:27

    Thank you I will have to go give that a look and see