I bought my first dozer last week for some personal projects, and who knows, maybe it gets some work also. It's a 2021 D39PX-24, had around 4800 hours with a new undercarriage. Does anyone have experience adding 2d (laser) machine control? The blade control is electric over hydraulic, seems like someone probably has something similar to a plug and play setup for the control side. I don't know that I'm super interested in spending the money, but it also seems silly to not find out what it would take. One project I may undertake is leveling a 3-4 acre portion of a field. In the meanwhile I'll add some masts to hold the receivers so I can manually see grade.
Why not investigate intelligent machine control. It should be a seamless upgrade since a lot of the harness should already be fitted. Worth a call to the dealer.
Good lookin machine BTW
Yeah, I’m going to talk to the dealer to see if it’s practical to add the “i” to the PX. I’m also interested in 3rd party controls that could be moved to another machine in the future. I assume, but don’t know, that adding the i will probably be fairly expensive relative to the features it offers compared to 3rd party.
That part, I can't answer. Justa wrench, so I see the guys running top-con, and all these other aftermarket products right over the top of what's already installed. I see your point though. Commonality and reduced single product/use application of resources.
Parts man said adding IMC to the dozer wasn't a thing, the install would be impractical. Got a conversation started with the Topcon salesman I've dealt with before. I've sent a couple messages to other 3rd party 2d suppliers. We'll see if anything comes of it.
Sitech, not in the business of futzing around, spent 27 minutes on the phone with me and answered almost all my questions fluently (stumped him on one question). 41 minutes after we hang up I have the quote in my inbox, with 24-60 month financing options at the bottom . Punchlines: $30k gets the machine 2d laser ready $50k more upgrades the machine to GPS $50k for a base and rovers setup. $3900/month rents the GPS for the dozer, double that if you need the base/rover also. The $30k option is set up for adding GPS, just mount and plug in the receivers. ~$3k to move the setup to a new D39-24, or add wiring harness cost if going to a different make/ model. Meanwhile, my Topcon salesman that I've spent ~$20k with, that I contacted last Monday and asked for an update on Tuesday. Ironically I bought from their location in @CM1995 's town, but the salesman lives in the same town as the Sitech dude. Fawsome service.
Any Update on what option you went with, if any? I'm pretty much in the same boat. I bought a D39EX-24 w/900 hrs. on it. Couldn't justify an "I" machine but i am curious what my options are for machine control upgrade.