Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D41P-6 Good or Bad

GOOG · 2023-12-22 19:25

I'm thinking of buying a 1998 D41P. The little I ran it, it seems like a stable grading platform. I have had a lot of D3C LGP's, and am looking for something bigger but still for fine grading. Anybody have an opinion on this move?

Replies25
  1. #1631G2023-12-22 20:37

    We own one and have had positive experiences with it. I’m not a huge fan of the gear selection method of twisting your wrist to change gears but other than that it’s a good machine. It,lol keep up fine with knocking down piles brought to it by a few tandems or two, maybe 3, off road trucks depending on the haul distance. The blade setup is a little strange where it only has the two cylinders for tilt and sweep. So the geometry makes it a little funny when you’re making fine tune adjustments while fine grading. Parts are still around but like other machines Komatsu seems to start falling off on parts for most things pre 2000. But you can still get them usually. I actually like the machine though. Tough and pretty simple. Cannot ask for much more than that in a dozer

  2. #2GOOG2023-12-23 14:49

    It doesn't have a torque convertor and it has a de-clutch pedal, am I to conclude that I need to use clutch on direction changes?

  3. #3631G2023-12-24 10:54

    No, not necessarily. If I can use the decelerator to come to a near complete stop and am on generally flat ground i shift directions without it. If I am on a slope then I use the inching pedal, at least that’s what the operator manual calls it, like the clutch that it is to better control the machine when changing directions without slamming to much power input through the transmission and gear housing.

  4. #4GOOG2023-12-24 17:02

    That all makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the help. Have a Merry Christmas.

  5. #5Shimmy12023-12-24 17:05

    Only thing I know that is undesirable with a 41 is the solid track frames. Some operators don't care at all, some refuse to run one.

  6. #6GOOG2023-12-24 17:12

    I am not familiar with the "suspension" on dozers, but I thought they all had solid frames except the D7-D8 class machines. I had a D6D LGP, but otherwise I a D3 guy. Should I be concerned about a solid track frame arrangement?

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-12-24 17:20

    In a smaller dozer it's not a big problem. It would be similar to a D3 but I think a little bigger.

  8. #8Shimmy12023-12-24 17:21

    Are we talking Komatsu only? If so, that is incorrect. 61s and 65s both have a hard bar.

  9. #9Shimmy12023-12-24 17:24

    A 41 is in between a 4H and a 5H, 5K and 6K, virtually identical to a D5M.

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-12-24 17:25

    I was comparing to a D3 but wasn't sure how much bigger it was. Are the low track D4's and D5's solid?

  11. #11Shimmy12023-12-24 17:32

    Looks like they are based on the pics. A 6K is the smallest one with a pivot shaft I can find.

  12. #12GOOG2023-12-24 20:30

    I have a 61PX. Does that have the solid deal or or independent?

  13. #13Shimmy12023-12-24 21:30

    You honestly don't know?

  14. #14GOOG2023-12-25 12:33

    It doesn't feel much different than a D3. I'd say it's rigid.

  15. #15GOOG2023-12-25 12:34

    Is that amazing?

  16. #16tctractors2023-12-26 15:19

    I am fairly sure that the D41A to P and up including the D61's 65's 85's 155's and higher all have swinging track frames with a pinned bar, the d31 had a bolted hard frame.

  17. #17Shimmy12023-12-26 15:36

    One of my competitors had a D41P that sold on auction this spring. It had solid track frames. I feel it was a part in Komatsu discontinuing that particular model.

  18. #18631G2023-12-26 21:33

    I tell you what, I’ll crawl under our machine and just see what she’s got and get back to you. Hell, I’m starting to wonder now.

  19. #19Shimmy12023-12-26 21:42

    I guarantee you that if it's a 41, it has solid track frames.

  20. #20Shimmy12023-12-26 21:48

    Easiest way to tell on newer machines is the pivot shaft cover. No pivot shafts on a 41.

  21. #21tctractors2023-12-27 15:19

    Great pictures can you put up a picture of a 25 + year old 41P, also a 53, 58, 61, 65, with a hard bar???

  22. #22Shimmy12023-12-27 17:04

    I can't find clear enough pics of older D41s to see with absolute certainty that they didn't have swinging track frames, so you may have me there. I know with absolute certainty, however, that the 1999 model my competitor had was solid frame, because i crawled all over that tractor last spring, as it was a half mile from my house.

  23. #23D6 Merv2023-12-27 23:29

    I know D41A-3; D41P-5 and D41E-5 had swinging track frames. D41-6 afaik are all rigid and have cummins engine. D41-3 and 5 have komatsu 6D105 engine

  24. #24Welder Dave2023-12-27 23:43

    Later models went solid to reduce the price?

  25. #25dozer7772024-01-01 16:18

    good luck for your d41p komastu good luck good luck