Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu d45p-1 steering problem

Troy Baumgartner ยท 2023-07-11 21:35

I got a d45p-1 that I can get to steer really good to the left with the steering clutches releasing good and it will steer to the right but bogs the motor down more than the left, I'm not getting but 200 psi at the test port on the steering valve. Iv pulled the valve apart and didn't see any damage and the relief valve seemed to be working right and smooth. Iv changed the fluid, filters, steering pump and it hasn't helped. Just seeing if anyone else has had this problem and if it ended up being that relief valve inside the steering valve assembly. Both tracks pull evenly pushing dirt with no slipping and I can pull both levers back at full throttle and it comes to a complete stop without bogging the motor down.

Replies17
  1. #1tctractors2023-07-12 15:21

    The right peddle is under the control of the Park Brake, this is often left on resulting in troubles like you are having, try adjusting both brake bands at the points below the fuel tank.

  2. #2Troy Baumgartner2023-07-12 15:24

    The brakes work fine it's the right steering clutch that isn't releasing all the way

  3. #3Dave Neubert2023-07-12 15:40

    is the pressure less on the right than the left

  4. #4Troy Baumgartner2023-07-12 15:43

    Yes minimum is supposed to be 230ish, I'm getting 210 on the left and 150 on the right, iv pulled that steering valve apart twice and it all looks and feels perfect. Unless I'm missing something on the pressure regulator inside the valve I don't see anything wrong and that was with the new steering pump with a new filter and strainer has been cleaned with new oil

  5. #5Troy Baumgartner2023-07-12 15:44

    New steering valve is almost 4k, and just the parts for the pressure regulator is close to 1k. I'm just trying to see if I'm missing something before I spend money on parts I don't need.

  6. #6Dave Neubert2023-07-12 16:27

    Sounds like the seals on the steering clutch are bad. Is there a way you can block off the lines going to the steering clutches that would tell you if it is in the valve or the clutch

  7. #7Troy Baumgartner2023-07-12 17:50

    There is only two seals and three O-rings in the steering valve and they have all been changed

  8. #8Dave Neubert2023-07-12 19:27

    I'm talking about the seals down in the steering clutches they go bad especially if the bevel gear bearings get wore

  9. #9Troy Baumgartner2023-07-13 10:02
  10. #10Troy Baumgartner2023-07-13 10:03

    It's not setup like you are thinking

  11. #11Dave Neubert2023-07-13 11:28

    Yep my bad

  12. #12Troy Baumgartner2023-07-13 11:30

    It's all good thanks for trying to help!

  13. #13Dave Neubert2023-07-14 07:11

    I had a d68 with the same problem found a tiny piece of metal in the valve cleaned it out and fixed it . Seems odd that one side is higher pressure than the other only one relief valve in the valve body. maybe find a used valve

  14. #14Troy Baumgartner2023-07-14 08:22

    I took the relief valve back apart and cleaned inside the seat where the plunger seats against the valve and I'm getting 250 psi on the right and about 210psi on the left, its steering pretty good now.I think ill buy the plunger, valve and some new springs and see what I get after that

  15. #15Dave Neubert2023-07-14 09:45

    If it is the same as a D68 you can shim the relief to get more pressure

  16. #16Troy Baumgartner2023-07-14 09:48

    Where does the shim go?

  17. #17Dave Neubert2023-07-14 14:05

    Looks different don't see any shims I would try replacing the springs