Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D65-7E

Blade1954 ยท 2021-06-17 15:23

So here is my current dilemma. I am trying to replace the brakes and the clutch assembly on this unit. I have done such via Caterpillar as well as smaller Komatsu's. I am at the point of trying to remove the clutch assembly. Following instructions per the repair manual. I am using a hydraulic jack as recommended. They say a ten ton. Which I do not have so using a 30 ton. I am pressing the shoe upwards with the jack. Initially a bit of "free play" in the clutch assembly. The tighter I go the free play basically goes away. Worked on it yesterday as well as today. I CANNOT get the clutch assembly loose so that I can turn it and remove all the bolts and removing the clutch assembly. Quite sure that I am doing something that is simple but I CANNOT figure out what. PLEASE suggestions as to what I am doing wrong. I would VERY much appreciate some assistance in this matter and yes Thank You!

Replies12
  1. #1epirbalex2021-06-17 18:17

    Are you lifting a plate on the tracks to spin the clutch ? Could be the weight of the blade won't let it travel . Is the brake on the other side released ? I would think both sets of tracks are going to have to move and again once you put it back together

  2. #2Blade19542021-06-17 20:44

    No Sir, I am lifting a shoe. Thus putting pressure up and as the manual suggests allowing the clutch assembly to release pressure and one being able to turn the clutch assembly to turn and taking off the bolts holding it. I never thought as to the weight of the blade although the repair manual never said anything. I did check the brakes on both sides which are basically not connected. Also thought as to trying and shifting the transmission still nothing. Yes, putting it back together will be a basic reverse process. Like most mechanical repairs. @epirbalex Thank you for your comment. I will study upon your suggestions.

  3. #3Bluox2021-06-17 21:12

    You have to move the tractor to move the clutches ,if the blade is down pick it up. keep jacking up the grouser till the tractor moves. Bob

  4. #4Dave Neubert2021-06-17 21:45

    Can you push the tractor forward with another piece of equipment maybe you have a final drive problem

  5. #5Don Shilling2021-06-17 23:07

    It would be best if you jack the tractor up to clear the tracks off the ground.

  6. #6epirbalex2021-06-18 04:35

    lol , shoe, pad, plate all the same thing . Is the dozer on soft ground ? It will take far more to move if so . Remember to chock the machine after moving , there is a risk it moves back when the last bolt is removed if its binding up on something .

  7. #7Blade19542021-06-18 13:20

    Than you, trouble is it is basically in a shed type area. The blade about 12-18 inches from the wall. As far as pulling it back maybe about three feet. After that it is an incline of sorts. The Bulldozer is about 70 miles from my shop REALLY wish they had brought it in. Oh well getting paid by the hour!

  8. #8Blade19542021-06-18 13:26

    Yes Sir, shoe pad or whatever. Basically the Bulldozer is on what I would call soft ground. The Dozer in basically in a shed. The blade is about 12-18 inches from the wall. Pulling it back after about three feet there is a definite incline. Thank You for the reminder and the chocks. Safety first and I am still alive! Need to do something but helpful advice and I appreciate it!

  9. #9Blade19542021-06-18 13:29

    Thought of that already and yes good advice. Really wish they had brought it to my shop. I have a jack to do it. Thinking maybe using some short railroad ties? Not going back to the ranch until Monday so time to think as well as gather up needed material. Thank You for your time and response!

  10. #10Bluox2021-06-18 14:23

    You know you can get the same results putting a jack under a grouser on the front of the track and rolling the tractor backwards, 3 feet should be more than enough. Jacking one up is a waste of time. Bob

  11. #11Welder Dave2021-06-18 15:46

    If you have a 30 ton jack can you lift each corner and put the machine on blocks with the tracks completely off the ground? Would make life a lot simpler. I was lucky on My Cat tack loader because I could lift it off the ground with the backhoe and front bucket. I think a dozer could maybe be lifted like a skid steer, put blocks as tight as possible under the rear of the machine and then lift the front with the blade to get the tracks off the ground. The 30 ton jack may be able to lift the back enough to get more blocks in before you lift the front.

  12. #12Dave Neubert2021-06-18 17:33

    2 feet is more than enough room to get to all the bolts even in the ground is soft you should be able to move try it jacking it backwards make sure blade is off the ground