Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu d65e-6

red_man80 ยท 2012-10-27 06:59

I have a recently got a d-65e-6 it has a cummins nh220. I am wondering if someone can explain how the fuel gets to injector pump. I am new to komatsu and dont understand it. The tank is rusted and i want to clean it all out.

Replies15
  1. #1willd8r2012-10-27 17:42

    It leaves the main tank gravity, feeds into a small tank down by the drive shaft then sucked up to the fuel pump. Cheers Will

  2. #2red_man802012-10-27 17:57

    Thanks Do you have to drop the belly pan to get to the small tank

  3. #3willd8r2012-10-27 22:22

    I think you can get at it through the small plate in the trans pan other wise you have to drop the whole pan.The one I had had the forestry heavy guarding so may be different to your one

  4. #4KWD2012-10-28 21:06

    Red, The small tank has a float in it that controls the diesel flow and dirt can cause a problem there, if I remember right you can get at through the floor plates

  5. #5Scrub Puller2012-10-30 02:53

    Yair . . . that "float tank" was a pain in the butt. If you run one of these tractors its a good idea to turn the fuel off after every shift. I have forgotten how it can happen but it is possible for the float to stick and dump a tankfull of fuel on the ground. I don't quite understand it's purpose. I was told the Cummins fuel system has to "lift" rather than be served by a flooded suction from the tank. I had a client who had the same engine in his little trawler. It was supplied by a day tank that put more head against the pump than the the tank on the Komatsu . . . he reckoned it would be a good idea to do away with the float tank all together. Cummins and Komatsu told him he shouldn't but he couldn't really get a deffinative answer as to "why". Any way I did it for him. I just replaced the tank with about a foot of three quarter pipe and I seem to remember having to run a by-pass line back to a new port I drilled and tapped into the main tank. Worked like a charm for about three years, no more spilt fuel and no apparent adverse affects on performance . . . then he got an in-frame rebuild by a Cummins "specialist" who went spare and insisted the tank was refitted. I was out of the picture by this time but, as far as I can gather the feller gave no satisfactory explanation as to why . . . but no warranty was available on his repairs unless the tank was reinstated. So the question is to you Cummins blokes, do you have an explanation? Cheers.

  6. #6red_man802012-10-31 06:17

    I was wondering the same thing about the float tank....what is its purpose. I was also wondering about bypassing it. I have another question, when i shut the dozer off it takes it a while to shut completely off. It just slowly idles down to nothing.

  7. #7willd8r2012-10-31 15:46

    Don't think you can by pass it .It has something to do with cummins engine set up they can't be gravity fed, some of the tech guys will know.I had a log truck once,the fuel tank was part of the cab guard it had I think marine Cheers valves to stop the diesel pressure feeding it never ran good wouldn't idle etc.Once I went back to a low tank it was good

  8. #8John C.2012-10-31 19:45

    One of my former employers had an old Mack LVX truck that had the old Cummins 743 in it. The fuel tank sat behind the cab and gravity fed the fuel system. The problem we had with it a couple of times was when the solenoid went bad and the engine wouldn't start you had to turn the thumb screw in on the fuel pump. If you didn't turn the screw back out when you shut down, this engine has a compression release, fuel would run through any injector that was partially pushed and would fill the crankcase. A couple of times I got the call that engine oil was coming out of the dipstick tube when the bone head operator came in for start up.

  9. #9red_man802012-11-02 19:54

    I have discovered another problem with the dozer. It wont back up a very steep grade at all, for example when you push a good sized tree out and pull in the hole it wont back out. You can put it in neutral with throttle wide open and put in reverse and it will try and then just stop. The motor dont die out just wont back. Will roll sirt over the blade when pushing. I Appreciate all the other replys and will greatly appreciate more

  10. #10JeremiahSr2012-11-03 14:20

    The little tank is because the fuel tank is higher than the fuel injectors in head. The style of these injectors will allow them to stay open when engine is stopped and the fuel would just gravity feed through the open ones and all the fuel in your tank would be in your engine. The fuel flows down in that little tank (it has a float to shut off fuel) then up to the big canister style fuel filter then to main pump. If you are having problems getting fuel to your fuel filter unhook the line coming from tank and through floor board take a long bar and tap it on top til fuel starts to flow. This tank is not paper thin but you could still damage it. Just tap it. These things are pretty good about holding up. The float just hangs sometimes. You can remove it through the top. Not an easy task. Ecspecially the rear line at bottom of tank. It mounts to left side of frame beside u-joints. I got a pic of tank coming on next post.

  11. #11JeremiahSr2012-11-03 14:23

    Make sure you have good fuel coming out of your fuel tank 1st. There is a strainer under tank you get to from rear. It is in the pic. I think it takes a 1 1/4" socket to remove. Make sure it is clean and good fuel leaving this strainer. Good luck.

  12. #12red_man802012-11-04 08:44

    Thanks Jeremiah....i will let you knoe what i find

  13. #13MBeard2016-01-15 08:09

    Does anyone know the location of the compression release valve on a Komatsu D65E-6 dozer?

  14. #14BurlNB2017-11-02 12:21

    I am trying to remove the float assembly from the small fuel tank. We removed the 4 bolts out of the top of the fuel float and unhooked the hose from the top, but I can not remove the actual assembly. Won't budge. What am I missing?

  15. #15BurlNB2017-11-06 10:10

    Never mind... we got it