I have a Komatsu D65E that is in good condition and had 80% UC. Its only a farm dozer. I have had it since 1986. The old Cummins 220 has finally gone bad. I have 2 older IH COE truck with 290 - 350 Cummins. I know the governor on the injection pump is different. Does anyone know if they would fit. I know the bell housing, oil pan and oil coolers would have to be switched.
It will fit but basically the only thing that's the same is the engine block, and it actually might be different. What happened to the one in it? You'd be money ahead to overhaul what you've got than try to make a truck engine work.
I was thinks about being able to get rid of the old external fuel injection lines.
I did not use it in 2 years and now the engine locked up. I had the exhaust covered. I don't know if a head gasket let coolant into a cylinder or what.
The truck engines almost certainly will not have constant speed governors.......
My biggest concern is the Bell Housing to be able to couple torque converter and pumps.
I know of a guy that had an older Komatsu that he swapped out the original cummins with a truck motor. It's been a number of years ago and I can't seem to remember the specifics other than it did not work very well.
What might be an option is to find a fuel pump off of a 290 in a Versatile tractor, something like a 875 maybe? They had a 285 with a constant speed governor. Be WAY more power than it needs, you'd have to be smart with it. I have no idea if you can fit the oil cooler on a newer truck engine, that would take a good investigation of the two blocks.
Might not have enough radiator for it also. Lots of variables.
Pull the heads to see if maybe you can free it up. Sounds like you have nothing to loose. I did free up an old 966 one time that had been sitting for years.
As I recall the Komatsu Cummins motors were a 743 block and not the venerable 855 engine. I did work on a dozer that had a 350 truck engine installed. The power was way too much and it sheared off the steering clutch bolts. I don't know what they did to get the motor in the machine but it was in there.