I have 1978 Komatsu D65e-6 that I use on my farm for clearing. It had been sitting for a while and today when I cranked it up it won't steer. I pulled the covers on the 2 filter housings under my feet and filled them with hyd. oil thinking maybe the system had just lost prime, but nothing. I then cracked the bleeder bolt on top of both filters and one of them started spitting out oil but the other one never did. Any suggestions? Thanks
I'm going to assume this is the same as my dash 8. Under your left foot is the steering filter and suction strainer. Right side is transmission. Screw a gauge into the filter housing or the test port that you access from the rear of the machine. You should be making around 280psi.
Your D65E (Extended Track Frame) is fitted with the Cummins engine on series 6, look for the steering suction screen filter it has 3 17mm headed bolts on the lid, remove this lid and check out the screen filter inside it, if its clear then check the steering case oil level is within the target, then remove the steering pump from the engine and fit a new 1 if the other points are good, if you mess about priming the pump it will only play up the next time you go to use it, the steering pump can be replaced with Non O.E. unit for about a 1/4 of the cost from Komatsu, the plug in the top of the High Pressure filter is for air purge after service/work, crack this open about 1 turn on engine start up to expel air from the system but be quick with the spanner to tighten plug as things happen fast. tctractors
Thanks guys for the advice. I'm beginning to understand this thing. I will check suction screen tomorrow. I thought I knew where to check oil level and fill for steering but I'm thinking it's the fill for the tranny in the floor plate. So where is fill for steering pump oil, that might be my only problem!
Once again assuming it's like a dash-8 but the check/fill plug is on the right rear. Right above the final drive plug. I'd recommend getting a manual for your machine. Well worth your money.