I have a 1978 Komatsu D65e-6 that when shut off or sometimes idling, the fuel spills out of the float tank breather. Is is possible that the float is sticking and what can be done to correct it?
Moo, yeh your right float is probadly sticking and you will find the small tank will need cleaning out (dirt)
KWD, thanks for your reply. I had not thought about the dirt, but that may be the problem. I haven't had the dozer long and have only used it about 50 hours clearing land. It may had never been cleaned out. I will pull out the drain plug and check for dirt and get back with you on the results. Thanks again!
Yair . . . Moo .We had on going problems with a 65 I was on (you have the Cummins?). We cleaned the float-tank and fitted parts and still the bloody thing would occasionaly dump a tankfull over night. I resorted to turning off the fuel every time I stopped . . . which turned out to be a PITA for the boss if he came along to do a bit and forgot to turn it on. Long and the short of it was we pulled off the belly gaurds and tried to figure out just what the darn float-tank did . . . after contacting Cummins and Komatsu who were no bloody help at all. It was obvious the intent was to put no head against the pump, but having seen these engines in fishing boats with daytanks on the bulkhead (well above the engine) I couldn't see the point. The long and the short of it is that I replaced the float-tank with a short piece of one inch pipe and plumbed a return line back to a new penetration I drilled high up on the main tank tank. It ran fine for fifteen hundred hours and then a Cummins "expert" went spare when he came to do a top overhaul and refused to warrant the job unless the tank was reinstated. That was about five years ago and as far as I know the thing is running like a dog and you have to turn the tank off to stop it dumping fuel. I realise this was no help at all but that's my experience with an annoying situation. Cheers.
Thanks Scrub Puller for the info and your experience with the problem. My dozer does have a cummins. Your suggestion gives me an option to try. It's in the middle of winter and I work 2 jobs so it will probably be spring before I work on it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!
Moo, there was a similar thread on here a few months ago rearding this small tank, find the thread it would be usefull too you