Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

komatsu D66S-1 01280

Dave Neubert ยท 2023-06-01 17:58

Anyone know anything about one of these loaders I have not gone out to see it but I think it is hydrostatic it wont move are there test points to check pressures. I have never heard of one of these so anything will help

Replies3
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-06-11 00:45

    Yes it's hydrostatic but apparently there were a lot of problems with them. Only made for 3 years and not in big numbers.

  2. #2SterlingR2023-06-26 16:15

    I think they were ahead of there time and the electronics were not robust enough for the operating conditions. The preferred units are serial numbers above 1400. When they are working they are a great machine and would love to get my hands on one. I chased D66's around Virginia when I worked for the Komatsu dealer back in the 90's.

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-06-26 20:33

    I wouldn't say they were ahead of their time. They were made to try and compete with Cat and JD hydrostatic machines and history has proven they didn't hold up nearly as well and were discontinued after only 3 years. Look good but not a very popular machine.