Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

running hot

gwhammy ยท 2023-05-31 07:09

Both of my 973 and my 963 run hot. I've washed out radiators to no avail. The 63 has a newer radiator which didn't help. Do they make a higher cfm fan or smaller pulleys to move more air in these things? I realize age has something to do with it but running yesterday it ran 230. I hate running them this hot. New radiators have gone threw the roof on prices so that is out of the question right now.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2023-05-31 12:17

    Condition of pulley and belt tensioners.? External or internal, or both.? What sort of temps are the hydraulics/power train running at.?

  2. #2Nige2023-05-31 12:18

    If you posted Serial Numbers I could take a look.........

  3. #3oarwhat2023-05-31 17:26

    What engine? If it's a 3306 the oil coolers plug up causing overheat.

  4. #4gwhammy2023-05-31 21:09

    Both 73's are 86g 00438 and the other is 01300's. The older one had a fresh motor put in around 5 years ago. Where is the oil cooler on them? Hydrostats will peg the needles also.

  5. #5Nige2023-05-31 22:51

    Are you simply relying on temp gauge readings, or have you shot temps with an infra-red heat gun.?

  6. #6gwhammy2023-06-01 16:07

    I have mechanical gauges on two and the stock gauge on the one I bought a year or so ago. I'll get a infra-red heat gun this weekend, maybe that will cure it . That is a good idea, thanks. The mechanical gauges I put on are reading right above the thermostat.

  7. #7Nige2023-06-01 17:08

    It will not cure anything but might just give more accurate information. Keep an eye on which temperature starts to skyrocket first, drive system or engine coolant. There is a possibility that you might just be looking in the wrong place for the source of your overheating.