Hi all, I have just bought a Komatsu digger and picking it up in a few days, but there is a bit of uncertainty as to its weight. It was sold as a 5 ton, but they have no idea of model numbers or anything. I have a suspicion that it is actually a 4 ton (PC40-1 PC40-2 PC04), as I cannot find any photos or models of 5 ton Komatsu's that old, and the width across the tracks is 173cm. Anyone recognize anything about it that you could give a solid opinion? Pins are 45mm, so that could be either 4-5t, the twin ram blade seems to also be in that weight bracket. And where would I find a serial/model number engraved/plate on it? Thanks
pc40-3 Japanese Used Mini-Excavators KOMATSU PC40-3 TOKU WORLD BE0169 Page for UsedMini-Excavators KOMATSU PC40-3 0.1㎥ Are you looking for used construction machines? We, Toku World, have a large inventory of used construction machines, and you can easily search for machines in our stock page. Even if you can not find the machine you are looking for, we’ll... toku-world.com
For many if not most of the Japanese excavators the model numbers denote metric tons. A PC40 would denote four metric tons. A metric ton is 2,204.62 pounds so comes out to 8,818.5 pounds. Most of the time that base weight counts the machine in operational condition without the bucket. Komatsu put their serial numbers on the mini excavators of the boom turret on the opposite side of the cab. Speaking of the cab, the one in your photos doesn't look like any Komatsu cab that I remember seeing, The vines growing over the pumps and the debris on the side of the engine indicate that the machine has been sitting for quite some time. Good Luck
Well, we went to pick it up, and the label said PC40-2, so I'm happy with that, as it was being sold as a 5 ton (my preference was for something slightly smaller). It was sold as a runaway diesel, and as they said that they had stopped it by cutting the fuel, I thought that was worth a shot. It had only had intermittent use over the past several years, than sat for a year when they attempted to restart it (5 months ago). Turns out the fuel rack was stuck, it didn't take much to free up, and it runs well, and loaded itself onto our truck. Thanks for the input.