Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

No hydraulics after sitting for 6 months

Jeremy Whittaker · 2026-09-13 15:13

Looking for some help. My 1998 cat 345bl has no hydraulics. Red hydraulic light is on which is normal on cold start for me. But I've got absolutely no power to hydraulics. They dont big down my machine or seem like they are even trying to engage. Any troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated.

Replies10
  1. #1mks2026-09-13 18:05

    A serial number is helpful if you haven’t included it somewhere.

  2. #2Jeremy Whittaker2026-09-13 18:32

    4SS01066

  3. #3crane operator2026-09-13 19:12

    Is there hydraulic fluid in the tank?

  4. #4Columbo2026-09-13 19:14

    Can you feel/hear the operator presence (safety) solenoid engage when you flip the lever? Does any hydraulic function work? Tracks, slew motor, etc?

  5. #5Joe H2026-09-13 20:02

    Mice, rats, chewing the harness. Joe H

  6. #6Jeremy Whittaker2026-09-13 23:52

    Yup. Opened the cavity under the cab and it bit the wire to the hydraulic-lock solenoid in half. And started it's own hotel.

  7. #7Jeremy Whittaker2026-09-13 23:54

    Actually ate through a bunch of electronics that I don't even know what they are. It's a mess. I'm not even sure how to identify these parts or the extent of the damage I cannot see. Good news is I was able to run the excavator with no issues for a few hours. How are you guys solving this issue?

  8. #8mks2026-09-14 13:54

    A schematic may help. Hence serial number. Lots of these threads here. HeavyEquipmentForums

  9. #9Welder Dave2026-09-14 15:01

    That really sucks! It's even worse that the wires are chewed right where they come out of the solenoids or whatever. If they were even a little further back you could splice them. I don't know how you'd fix them without replacing the components. I feel sorry for you!

  10. #10Nige2026-09-14 15:21

    I think you may already have an electrical schematic from troubleshooting a couple of years back but if that's not the case and you would like one please ask.