I'm new to the forum and hoping to find some help here. I have a 2013 d65wx-17. I had a valve break and ruined one cylinder. I'm debating on whether to fix the one cylinder or replace the whole engine. I have found a rebuilt engine but the cpl# doesn't match. I'm want to know if that matters and how to find out what is compatible. I don't want to buy engine, pay shipping and core charges and the new engine not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have the tooling and knowledge to rebuild/repair your engine?
I will not be doing the work myself. My mechanic would do it and yes he has the tools and knowledge to do it. I'm leaning towards replacing the engine which is why I need the answers to knowing how to tell if another engine is compatible.
Need to find someone that knows those machines well. When swapping for another engine its looking for all the proper bolt holes all over the replacement engine, and such items as dimensions for flywheel mounting and distance flywheel to housing flange, damper and pulley on front, mounting points for what ever accessories and what ever else I am forgetting. And that new of machine then there is the emissions garbage to consider, could include things like the cam and fuel system. In the automotive (car and small truck) world an engine swap most always means you take everything sensor and emissions related off the old engine and put it on the new. The quick thing maybe to just fix the one hole. But then I never think about the cost of paying to have things done. A total DIY person here.
D65-17 engine will be spend'y indeed, I would repair your 1 cylinder and check the parts listing for the correct valve stem to fit the seals to, the take out engines that are about for a -17 would be very hard to find, there is a lot of work to swap out engines plus the - 17 is not famed for earning its owners a load of coins, the Komatsu Plus PPR Track assembly's are not loved, even getting the sump off is some task.
It is much Time & Cost saving in change handle 1 Cylinder than using different engine.
Tell me the price of your Good Running take out engines if you can find any for sale? in the U.K. we would fix what you have as the crank should be still good.
And how do you know a used replacement engine is any good and will last? You usually only have the seller’s word that its good. I would repair what you have.
Repair your old engine is the better options. V do have the spare parts for this engine .
Repairing the one cylinder is looking like my only option to get back running quickly. My major obstacle is time. I need to be running by the end of the month and I can't find anyone around that could do the work that fast which is why I was thinking of swapping. I'm in south carolina, if anyone knows of someone willing to do the work.
Swapping out the engine would most probably be more work than fixing what you have.
if all parts are ready, and a person who know how; it only 1or 2 days to get it running.
I would have to pull the engine to fix the cylinder, so doing a long block swap would save me a few days or longer on down time, but I can't find the cummins equivalent block/ model. I'm told it's a cummins qsl9, but the only ones I can find are newer tier 4 and I'm not sure if they are the same block/ mounting holes, etc. Different cpl #'s on the newer engines also. Would that matter if I stripped it down to bare block and put all of my parts on it?
Especially now (age) I would rather remove an engine than have to constantly climb under and upon to work on it. I felt that way even when younger, even removing a D342 from a D8 was not a huge job with the correct tools to work with.