Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 850 engine smoking

Sea Sparrow · 2023-08-30 14:04

Hi all, I have a Case 850 crawler loader with the A301BD engine. The smoke is grey and is not constant. It only occurs after using for over an hour. I’ve attached photos of the engine. There appears to be engine oil slowly dripping down the starboard side. Any advice is appreciated, thank you. -Rob

Replies7
  1. #1Dave Neubert2023-08-30 16:09

    looks like a valve cover leak

  2. #2chidog2023-08-30 21:16

    Dumb question where does the smoke come from?

  3. #3Sea Sparrow2023-08-30 21:23

    It comes out from the exhaust pipe. There are no exhaust leaks that I have located. It is also random in nature, sometimes it happens when I’m on an incline and then goes away after a restart…

  4. #4Sea Sparrow2023-08-30 21:23

    I ordered a new gasket and will investigate when it arrives

  5. #5Dave Neubert2023-08-31 07:59

    Is your machine turbo charged if so check turbo for leakage

  6. #6Sea Sparrow2023-08-31 08:27

    It’s non-turbo

  7. #7Sea Sparrow2023-09-03 17:49

    The oil was coming from the top of the valve covers. There are two rubber washer seals that the oil pipe sits on and they appear to be leaking. I pressure washed the engine compartment and have kept the hood and side panels off. After being run for a good amount of time this past week the smoke has not returned…