I just got a Komatsu PC128UU-1, excavator. While it starts perfect and runs great, it has excessive blow by. I noticed that it only has a breather tube from the crankcase. Many newer diesels have a type of PCV system that sucks the blow by out through the turbo, back into the cylinders. Can I modify this engine to do the same? Thanks. cowchipz
Why would you want to? the newer ones do it for emissions reasons. Why would you want that junk to mess up your turbo?
Not a good idea. I have seen the breather plumbed into the muffler. It works till just before one of the connecting rods starts to hammer. Komatsu engines usually break before they develop that much blow by. I would suggest you have something very wrong in the engine to make that much crankcase pressure.
Try putting the turbo drain line in a bucket and putting a plastic cap in the block where the drain line goes and see if you blow by decreses.
DK88, I will try that this weekend. Exactly what will doing this accomplish? If the blowby decreases, does that mean the turbo is shot or going out? What should come out of the drain line? Thanks. chipz
Correct, should have around 1L every 5 seconds or so.. Like John said most of these engines had massive failures before they got excessive blow by.