Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu excavator 6 series monitor problems – LCD not visible

treemuncher ยท 2014-02-26 20:21

I often wonder how many of us who own a 6 series PC have had issues with the LCD burnout. I was told by Komatsu this was a flawed LCD screen that burned in the infrared spectrum from the sunlight. I was also told that there was a recall on the monitors years ago when the machine was fairly new but I was never contacted even though I purchased the machine new. After I found out about it, Komatsu refused to do anything to fix the problem other than to take nearly $2,500 of my money in order to offer a replacement part. I figured Komatsu could F off as far as I was concerned, not standing behind a machine with a known defect as such. I continued to work without a visible display for many, many years and learned to hate Komatsu's pricing schemes for their parts. I've recently found a solution to the problem and for much less than what Komatsu wanted. I'm no electronics whiz but I am dangerous with a soldering iron. I have replaced the monitor LCD with a new unit and everything is back to like new condition. Best of all, I'm in it for less than $100. If anyone else needs a replacement screen done, let me know and if I have time, I might be able to do it. It takes several hours of work to do the surgery but I could do it for $500 parts, labor and shipping. You can likely get it done a bunch cheaper if you know an electronics specialist who does de-soldering and soldering of components for a living. I have to consider my time not spent on a jobsite. Bottom line: I hope this information helps someone else out there. I'm starting to find more aftermarket parts all the time. For the way I've been treated, Komatsu gets as little $ as possible to keep my machine in good running order.

Replies6
  1. #1hydroax2014-02-26 21:09

    I am an electronics wiz, complete with desoldering tools. (not to be confused with solder sucker or wick) What did you replace? Right now since it doesnt affect how the machine runs its not a big deal but am courious what you figured out to replace and how much work it is to get to.

  2. #2John C.2014-02-27 00:19

    Actually the units mostly failed after the machine ran through their warranty periods. There was a factory fix which was a piece of screen that sat over the top of the original screen. It wasn't much and the units usually went bad before anyone found out about the sunburn issue. Komatsu was no different in their warranty policy than anyone else. I do sympathize with you on the their matrix pricing scheme. Three dollar diodes went to seventeen dollars and I knew it was time to look at other opportunities. Great work on your panel fix!

  3. #3Ironrider20092016-07-11 14:37

    We just ran into this same problem on a pc160 lc7 I would like to know where to get that lcd screen from I can do the work

  4. #4hydroax2016-07-11 17:52

    I bought the chip but it didn't go to my screen. I ended up replacing it with an ebay special. It felt a little cheasy but has been working great. The difference of being able to see the stuff is the speed buttons now work so it isn't stuck in the slow speed. The picture attached is the chip that the other poster replaced to get him working. This is not what I had. This is the guy I bought mine from, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monitor-783...635584?hash=item3d1a52bf40:g:hacAAOSwxN5WYAIs The best part is I asked him for a couple of extra stick on covers since the buttons seem to crap out first and he gave me a couple for free. Good luck

  5. #5treemuncher2016-07-11 22:04

    It's been a few years. If I remember correctly, I purchased the part through aliexpress.com or alibaba.com. The replacement display was less than $75 delivered. There are a number of Komatsu parts available there. A swing pressure sensor that was $125+ at Komatsu was 5 for $119 from China(delivered) in original Komatsu foil pack bags. Other electronic valves/sensors were usually 25% - 50% or less, than dealer price.

  6. #6hydroax2016-07-12 05:24

    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...1419289646.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.62.zHUQuB This is the guy I got that chip from. would have been perfect if it went to mine