Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu GD655-6

Paystar · 2018-01-30 21:03

I've asked about Komatsu graders in the past, but all the machines have newer series out now. So I wanted to ask again...has anyone run one of these new Komatsu's? Most of the talk I see is about Deere and Cat. How would these compare? In the brochure pics, visibility looks good. And they come with an awesome standard warranty and service plan. http://www.komatsuamerica.com/equipment/motorgrader/grader/gd655-6 I don't run grader, but I have been operating the newer loaders from the WA200 to the WA500 and I find them superior to even Cat. And I was a Cat guy. I hear their dozers are very good also.

Replies11
  1. #1John C.2018-01-31 13:54

    I did an inspection on a GD655-5 a couple of years ago. It had lever controls like the Cat 140H and was real smooth to operate. I don't know why the owners decided they wanted to trade it in but the local Cat dealer took it in and I believe still have the machine. It had been being used on commercial construction sites.

  2. #2Paystar2018-01-31 17:13

    Thank's John. I was just wondering why you don't see more of them, especially since Komatsu equipment has caught on pretty big around here. There is only one here used by a local logging outfit. (an older series though.) When Volvo ceased motor grader production out city ended up getting 3 Cats and a bunch of Deere's. All of them are all wheel drive.

  3. #3John C.2018-01-31 18:36

    There was one in the fleet at a coal mine I worked at in the mid eighties. It was representative of all the other Komatsu graders for the next 10 to 15 years. It was the biggest POS on the mine site. Now it was too small for working in a mine and I have allowed for that here. The front wheel bearings were running in grease and had to be taken apart every few hundred hours, cleaned out and put back together. The mounting bolts for the power pod under the engine broke off and we had hell to pay to fix that. The cab fell apart and all the electrical stuff made everyone miserable. All Komatsu graders carried that stigma up till about ten years ago in this area. No one would touch one unless it was given away. The one I looked at may be changed. I don't know but it has been sitting in the Cat dealer's lot for almost two years.

  4. #4Paystar2018-01-31 19:13

    That's like even their loaders. I hated running them compared to Cat and Deere before. But the latest ones are a huge step forward in comfort and performance. Was just talking to a friend down south working on a big project. They have a brand new Komatsu dozer and a new D5 and he said the smaller Komatsu is out-producing the D5 and uses way less fuel. The loaders and the dozers are the only things I can compare apples to apples as I have ran the newest versions of a few different brands. I love graders but we only have an old manual transmission Champion, LOL.

  5. #5cuttin edge2018-02-01 09:57

    Komatsu took over Dresser didn't they? I ran a dresser once, but was still wet behind the ears as a graderman. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a new Komatsu grader around. We had a 300 excavator once and in 5 years, besides fuel, oil, filters and grease, you never had to look at it.

  6. #6michael james2018-02-03 02:39

    hi paystar, l run a GD 555-5 and it is a great machine, here is a link to a previous post. HeavyEquipmentForums

  7. #7Paystar2018-02-03 11:32

    Hello Michael. That is a nice looking machine. I've never seen a roller setup like that. That's one thing that caught my eye looking at pics....seems like there is really good visibility to the mouldboard. So you have been happy with it so far? Thanks for showing.

  8. #8michael james2018-02-03 15:29

    very happy Paystar, very comfortable to operate, very good visibility overall, can't complain about engine or transmission, the roller is very convenient and does a good job although no comparision to a tractor and steel\rubber wheeled combined set up, overall, great versatility, very good setup for the work l do which is maintaining a shire's drainage and road network.

  9. #9DK882018-02-24 19:48

    https://www.rbauction.com/2016-KOMA...vId=10459979&id=ci&auction=TORONTO-ON-2018272

  10. #10Fatgraderman2018-03-28 11:36

    They did. It doesn’t look like any of the original Dresser exists in current machines. I think their larger machines (705,750,825) were solely Komatsu derived. The local excavating company (that are CAT people) love their Komatsu excavator too. The only model available here is a 655, and I have yet to see one.

  11. #11Vomeks2018-06-11 06:09

    We supply Komatsu GD655-6 parts , if you need any inquiry , please let mw know. http://www.vomeks.com/komatsumotorgrader/index.php