Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu head bolts

unclejim ยท 2015-03-23 18:27

New to this site and looking for information on my Komatsu engine rebuild. The dozer is a 1997 D31P-16 with a 4D105-3 engine. I need to know if the headbolts are torque to yield (one time use only) or if I can reuse the old ones. The shop manual doesn't address this issue. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1dozer122162015-03-23 19:58

    If not discussed in manual, my gut feeling is reuseable. Lay thread across each other and look for strech.

  2. #2John C.2015-03-23 21:09

    All the Komatsu engines I have worked on were torque/turn. There was always a measurement in a service manual that would indicate re-use or replace. The engines of that time period that I worked on were 4D95 engines which were actual Komatsu engines. Yours sounds like the Cummins clone. Perhaps you can check with a Cummins dealer to check that and use their service manual. The Cummins gasket kits had a tool that measured go/no go on the bolts.

  3. #3DK882015-03-23 21:16

    John c x2 Even the komatsu gasket kits come with one iirc