Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

komatsu hydraulic oil help

chieff ยท 2011-02-14 19:57

I have a komatsu sk820-5n and went to change my hydraulic oil and filter. I stopped by my local dealer and asked for the oil they recommended and a new filter. They gave me standard iso aw46 hydraulic oil and I went on my way and changed the fluid. My book said that komatsu recommended SAE 10w oil with a cd classification. I questioned the dealer but they said that "this is what we use". Since then I have looked another komatsu dealer's website and they had a bulletin from komatsu recommending against iso aw46 hydraulic oil as it can cause premature pump failure. I called my local oil supplier and gave him the info and he called his supplier/engineer and their books call for Chevron/Delo DRIVE TRAIN FLUID HD SAE 10W 226607. Anyone have any insight on what I should run?

Replies3
  1. #1T2002011-02-14 21:49

    I just needed to change mine as well in a Bobcat T200. I grabbed the ISO 46 off the shelf at Tractor Supply because I wasn't buing Bobcat Hydraulic Oil (All the suggest). As soon as I opened it up and noticed how thin and watery it was i took it back. I ended up putting standard tractor hydraulic/trans oil in my machine. Some will tell you to use that, some will tell you to use other stuff.

  2. #2Lil' Puss2011-02-15 14:17

    Because there is usually so much discrepancy between dealers and manufacturers recommendations, I feel safer by going with what a reputable lubrication engineer recommends (scroll down). http://www.chevronlubricants.com/products/cooling-system-fluids.aspx

  3. #3RocksnRoses2011-02-15 14:50

    Most of the major oil companies have the Datateck facility on their websites. If you search through, you will find that Valvoline recomend a 10W oil for your machine. http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/valv_auMS/default.asp RnR.