Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu/International 507 Loader

race_hemi · 2011-09-01 14:36

Hi, new dude here and first real post. A bit of intro ... I operated plant for a job during the 80's/90's but do something different now. I live on a small block of land and own a little loader that I use around the property. Its a Komatsu 507 Loader (from the mid 80's I am lead to believe) that came with no operators handbooks or anything. I am in New Zealand and there are a few of these things around but they are getting on in age resulting in parts being difficult to find and generally expensive. I am currently having starter motor issues. I was wondering if anyone was familiar enough with Komatsu loaders of this type enough to know if it was possible to swap out the exisiting 4D94-2 4cyl diesel engine in it in order to replace it with a later model item of similar spec. I.e. what later engines share the same transmission/bellhousing(?) pattern? Also ... could someone point me towards a site where it is possible to find more info on what I have etc ... i.e. workshop manuals, spec sheet ... Here is a pic of my little beasty, lol!

Replies6
  1. #1JimInOz2011-09-02 19:07

    G'day RH, A local garden supply yard has one of those 507 loaders. Not very common,I'd imagine.I'd imagine that JSSR in Asia would auction a few of these loaders off each year. A year ago,I was looking for info on the very rare 505 loader...almost no info available on that machine. The engine...is it a 4D94...or a 4D95?? The 95 is a common engine in small Komatsu dozers , loaders & excavators. I'm unsure of this...but I think there is a bellhousing chart available that shows the main types of bellhousings used in industrial applications?I know I have something like this chart in my PC files somewhere,but unsure if it covers all types,or just selected applications/brands.A smarter guy than I may add something here... Jim

  2. #2race_hemi2011-09-02 20:26

    G'day Jim, cheers for the reply. Its a 4D94(dash 2) according to the serial number tag on it. Roger on trying to find info, lol! Gawd, its like looking for rocking horse poo. I am secretly hoping that this little piggy has the same bellhousing pattern as some of the more common and later engines. I have just had an insight to trying to find another starter motor for it (got mine fixed instead) they are scarce and people want moon beams for them. With this in mind and the fact that I quite like the loader, I was looking at doing some contingency planning for the future by identifying potential routes to take should I need to. I'd appreciate you having a look through your PC sometime there Jim, on the off chance you might have something on the bellhousing situation. Go well.

  3. #3JimInOz2011-09-02 23:00

    RH, That's a good looking loader you have there.I own a similar sized Furukawa & have been amazed at how handy it has been on our property.I use it for pushing trees over,dragging logs,road forming & lifting duties...it is handier than any drott or tractor I ever owned. I can't find much info on your engine,but I note that there is a 4D84 engine fitted to a PC30,40 & 45 Excavator,& a 3D84 in a few small machines.I think I have a 3D84 in my shed,with a hole in the block. I also see that Perkins were fitted into a few Komatsu excavators in the early 90s.Yanmar & Kubota engines also made it into some small Komatsu road-rollers ,etc. Maybe do a search on Rock & Dirt & Machinery trader to see if any are being wrecked for spares. Here's that link to the chart...I think it's more about old USA engines: http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/sae.htm

  4. #4race_hemi2011-09-06 21:03

    Jim, thanks for this. It is helpful. Most commercial/industrial engines conform to one of these patterns (my understanding is) and make use of adaptors to mate a certain gearbox up. Ta.

  5. #5nigel hope2020-07-21 03:46

    I have a dresser 507 here in chch , new zealand. The head is u/s so need to fit a replacement engine. Otherwise its a average condition for its age.

  6. #6Sam Clarkson2026-01-06 00:47

    I’m in New Zealand too, also with a 507. My problem is I’ve lost drive. Rev it and nothing happens. You’d have to assume it’s the torque converter. Trouble is I have absolutely zero information on the drivetrain. Anyone can point me in the right direction?