Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 924g turbo leaking oil

dsichewski ยท 2011-09-05 15:13

Heres a little background loader has around 2700hrs on it. I just did a 250hr service on it. drained oil, changed filter and refilled oil. started engine rechecked level and toped up all was good. Sent machine out to job site. I came to the job site a few days later and checked the oil and found it to be way high. Found out another operator checked the oil found it low and topped it up (2 L). What they didn't realize was it was on a slope so when they thought they were topping it up they were actually overfilling it. After about 2.5 weeks of running the loader here and there...short periods of time. I was able to drain the oil back down to proper levels. Now I have engine oil leaking out the bottom of the turbo where the wastegate actuator attatches to adjust the wastegate. So my questions are: 1) is the turbo comepletly euchered and it needs a reman one now? 2) from having to much oil in the system is it just sitting in the turbo and I have to let it just leak out till its gone/burned off 3) can I remove the air hoses, clean out the inside of the turbo and replace the seals for the turbo? Engine was smoking quite a bit when throttling up but since I've drained the oil down its not nearly as bad and seems to be returning to normal. any help/suggestions would be appreciated. David

Replies1
  1. #1Lee-online2011-09-05 15:43

    What is the SN? PM it to me. There have been a few issues with the closed crankcase breathers machines. A leaking turbo will be replaced under warranty up to two years and pro rated up to four years.