Morning, Does anyone know what lube is used in the planetary final drive on a PC 45-1? I understand some models use 30wand some gear oil. Thanks, Darryl
From experience on various brands of excavator final drives I would personally go for an oil that meets TO-4 specification and SAE50 viscosity. EP-rated gear oils contain additives that have been known to attack the silicone-based rubber used in the steel face seals in final drives. I personally wouldn't use them.
Thank you for the info. It's a borrowed machine and one final is damp so may already have a bad seal. I wanted to top off before running but want to stick to factory specs. Pulling the plug the fluid smells like gear oil. The machine's owner has the manual buried somewhere. I'll bug him to find the manual.
If it is already filled with gear oil then I wouldn't suggest topping off with TO-4 unless the final is drained & flushed first. Otherwise just top up with what's already in there.