Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC-60-6 Engine will not crank

big builder ยท 2013-10-20 17:18

Hello Everyone....Seem to be struggling with my machine these days. This has been such a bulletproof machine until now. Just age I think. Rain stopped today so I go to get back to work and it will not crank? Batterys are at 24.8 volts...correct I assume. Everything else electrical is working good. Exterior work lights are bright...dash lights are bright etc. I know it is bad practice but I also tapped the starter while the key was held in crank position....no change. Can anyone help me work through what I should check to get to the bottom of this. Many thanks BB

Replies7
  1. #1John C.2013-10-20 22:10

    Check the charge indicator on the monitor panel with the key on. If it is flashing, next check the small wire on the alternator. If you have voltage there, you need to have the alternator fixed. Good Luck!

  2. #2big builder2013-10-21 06:08

    Hi John, Would this mean alternater is gone and batterys were discharged? Batterys show 24.8 volts right now. Last time I used it it ran fine and no indicator lights were on. Parked it and a week later nothing. All lights work fine including outside work lights, heater fan etc but not thing happens when I turn the key not even a click.

  3. #3Delmer2013-10-21 15:32

    This is general advice: put a test lead on the small wire on the solenoid and see if the starter is getting power "signal" when you turn the key. Then you know whether to look at the starter or at the wiring (key switch, neutral switches?). Tapping only works if there's a "loose connection" inside the starter, but you don't know that yet. Alternately you could jump/bypass the solenoid, but that's dangerous.

  4. #4John C.2013-10-21 20:18

    There is a safety relay that cuts out the starter solenoid when the alternator is producing. That small wire from the alternator has a diode on it inside the alternator. When the alternator is right, there is no voltage then when the engine is not running. When the diode blows there is voltage against the safety relay and the starter cannot be engaged. Another way you can check this is to take a short piece of wire and touch one end to the battery lead on the start and the other to the starter solenoid excitation wire. If the starter turns and the engine starts you know the safety relay is getting voltage when it shouldn't. That wire also sets off the charge light on the monitor panel. When the engine isn't running the monitor light will not get a signal from the alternator wire. When it is running the voltage on that terminal tells the computer the engine is running.

  5. #5mitch5042013-10-21 20:51

    Thanks John, I couldn't imagine why you were going to the alternator. :beatsme Mitch

  6. #6big builder2013-10-22 18:03

    Hi Guys, Thank you for all the great advice. If it wasn't pouring rain I would go out and try all these things right now. Silly machine is stuck on a slope...along way from the shop. I will update when I have tried these ideas. THank you again!

  7. #7mitch5042013-10-22 22:03

    They never break in a good place, do they?